Songs for Newbies?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cpt_Llama, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Can you guys recommend some good songs for new-ish bass players to learn?
  2. Ummmmmm, any preferencess???????

Learn these songs |edit|by Primus|edit:

<underline>When the Toys go Winding Down
    Frizzle Fry
    The Awakening</underline>

Well that should start you off.
  3. any style of music would be helpful
  4. Gone Away by offspring is pretty easy
    Load Me Up, Hello Time Bomb and Symbolistic White Walls by Matthew Good Band are really easy too.

Or if you dont want a challenge, go with brain stew by green day, its the same 5 notes over and over.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anything by The Police
  6. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Blink 182 songs are really easy if you use a pick!
  7. Shouldn't it be "They are just Easy"??? three chords and all, like isn't that the max requirement for punk? lol

8. That Thing You Do from the movie by the same name, Zombie by The Cranberries, and Good Riddance by Green Day are all pretty easy. They're the first ones I learned to play. :p
    There's a bunch of other easy songs I know, I'm just a tad too tired to think of them right now. :p

9. Isn't that a solo acoustic guitar piece?
  10. Well, from my understanding there's the 'normal' solo acoustic guitar piece version, but there's also a full-band version. It wasn't my idea to play the song. The guitarist wanted to play it, and he just told me the chord changes, and I was set. As with most Green Day songs, it's still just root notes. :D Of course, now that I've been playing for a year instead of a week, I'm sure I could add my own little flavor to it... :D
  11. dude, have you been listening? most green day basslines are not just root notes.

anyway, easy songs... i think "break stuff" by limp bizkit is like two chords, i bet it's easy.
  12. RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    altough i hate most new age punk, i must say Green Day's bassist plays inverts and walk downs alot sso its not just root notes, i'll give him sum credit,,, anyways sum good songs to learn,, and these aren't jsut easdy they are also fun and exciting to paly so u get interested in ur abss,,, who wants to ride notes like E A G,, whats the point?
    anyways here goes- Daytripper (Beatles), My Sharona (The Knack) Down on the Corner (Creedence Clearwater Revival or CCR) and Longcview by Greenday if your into them, and once you get faster with your fingering try Tom Sawyer by Rush or Sweet Emotions by Aerosmith, but the greatest fuirst song to learn,,, as I know many have-- Money by Pink Floyd
  13. Ok fine. So most of Green Day's basslines aren't just root notes...I don't actually listen to them, but all the songs my band's wanted to play by them were just root notes.
    Oh well, my bad. :oops:
  14. thanks guys this should help me get started
  15. Funky Dung

Funky Dung

Mar 25, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's was my second. :) I started two weeks ago. The night I bought my bass I tought myself "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" by Pink Floyd. It's easy as hell but it sounds nice. The next night I started working on "Money". I've got it mostly nailed. Now I use it as a warmup before I practice. I try to play it as fast as my fingers can muster.

I really enjoy songs in which the bass is really a driving force. Root note repetitions drive me nuts, but at least they fill out the lower freqs. Spartan bass lines like in "Free Falling" by Tom Petty are painfully boring to play.

[/two cents' worth]
  16. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    These are bands who have easy bass tabs;

Blink 182
    Manic Street Preachers
    The Verve
    ..........Any thing kind of Brit-pop or punky is simple!

I also found this pic and thought it was amusing!
  17. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ok as a bassist i think it is almost required to know how to play " another on bites the dust ".
  18. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

"So What" by Metallica. Pretty Simple, but sounds cool..

19. EmuKing

EmuKing Guest

Apr 16, 2001
    Houston, Tx
    Thanks, I got the tab for "Money" last night, and played it all night. My first full song to play on the bass!
  20. I second "Zombie" by The Cranberries....that's one of the first one's I learnt.
    How about "Should I stay or should I go" by The Clash and just about anything by Nirvana....learn "Polly", that's pretty cool and really easy.