Songs for Post-Terrorism Gigs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Sep 13, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

At rehearsal last night, a couple of us in the band, myself included, brought up the fact that our hearts weren't in playing a bunch of danceable, party time, sets this weekend after the hijackings. It just doesn't feel right to go out this weekend and try to make people feel like living it up when so many have suffered/are suffering. Sort of the same thing sports are going through.

So, the solution we came to is to include some appropriate songs that aren't gloomy dirges. We would intro them with a dedication to the survivors and families of the victims. Today, we'd come up with title input and tonight we'd put them together as best as possible.

So far, I'm thinking;

- "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba (you UK guys definitely know this - "I get knocked down/But I get up again/Nothing's gonna keep me down.....").

- "We're Not Going to Take It" by Quiet Riot

Someone suggested "Born in the USA" but that got nixed since this is really about the entire free, civilized, world.

Any suggestions for appropriate, upbeat, songs would be appreciated. The CD store is just 10 minutes away on the way to rehearsal.

(Jason O.? JimK?)
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Follow Me- Uncle Cracker
    Five Iron Fenzy- New Hope
    Whiskey In the Jar- Thin Lizzy
    Sublime- What I got

They are upbeat without being poppy, and you can dace to em....that's just off the top of my head.
  3. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I too thought of "We're not going to take it", but isn't that a Twisted Sister song? I think Quiet Riot was "Cum on feel the noize." Doesn't matter really, until you're buying/looking for the album.

As for songs to play:
    Pink Houses- John(ny) Cougar Mellencamp, or whoever he was when he recorded it. Ain't that America, home of the free.......great chorus, but similar to Born in the USA.

That's the only one that's coming to me at the time, perhaps more later.
  4. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    1 more.

We Will Rock You-Queen
  5. Hmmm... I'd do something very emotionally involving but not offensive. I say 'The Unforgiven' by Metallica, to represent the terrorists. Pretty heavy though.

How about 'Keep On Rockin The Free World'. Yeah, I like that.
  6. rickbass

Nails - You nailed it. Thanks very much for the correction. I would have been looking under the wrong letter but I think I'd have caught it when I couldn't find it at first. The hook to "C'mon Feel...." is so similar.

The sound of some of those hair bands just gets blurred to me.......DiMarzio "wheeeeeee" with full treble. :eek:
  7. rickbass

Yeah, that's pretty dark. I think people going to clubs this weekend will be past the "gloom" stage.
  8. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    You could try RATM but I'd be careful on which songs you play.

Good ones:
    Know your Enemy
    Wake up
    Take the Power Back

Killing in the name of

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    How 'bout "Rock the Casbah"?
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    keep on rockin in the free world... awesome idea.

Some songs that make me feel pumped:

All the small things - Blink
    Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye
    Higher - Creed
  11. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    ditto on Keep on rockin' in The free World.
  12. Berme

May 11, 2001
    what about "ALIVE" by Pearl Jam? or "The show must go on" by Queen "...inside my heart is breaking, my make-up may be flaking, but my smile still stays on..." It sends shivers down my spine ;) just thinking about it. But you can also boost your treble and playing "Becoming" by Pantera...maybe too explicit? " more the small one, the weak one... I´m becoming more than a man...becoming godsize...driven and burning beyond Jesus...I of suicide.I the unlord...":eek:
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Alive" is a GREAT choice!
    How about:
    You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - BTO
    Ty Cobb - Soundgarden (Substitute the lyrics, "hardheaded" with "Bin Laden" For the sheer anger! And get the crowd to sing on the choruses!)

:mad: :cool:
  14. Hmmm

Offspring-Gone Away (as a tribute song)
    God Bless America
    Queen-We are the Champions
    Maye something from Pink Floyd, but there is so much to choose from.

Rock on
  15. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, one of the most beautiful songs ever, in my opinion.
  16. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Nirvana - all apologies, dumb, on a plain, heart shaped box, where did you sleep last night?
    Pearl Jam - black
    these are all great mellow songs, pick 2, and you'd be set after all the great suggestions from before
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'd alter the lyrics, as my friend's '80s band did-

"F*** The Casbah"

Sorry, Ric, for soiling your thread...
  18. c_suders

Sep 13, 2001
    Shippensburg, PA
    A new hope by F.I.F would be great for this ocasion. it is a song that was written after the Colombine thing. It basically talkes about recovering from a tragety and puting your faith in God.
  19. "Hard as Iron" by Judas Priest....great venting tune.

"If You Want Blood, You Got It" by AC/ even BETTER venting tune.

"Mothers of the Disappeared" by U2. Can you think of a more appropriate song of mourning?

"Keep on Rockin' in the Free World" by Neil Young. That's a great idea, guys.

"Battle of Evermore" by Led Zep.

"You've Got Another Thing Comin" by Judas Priest.

"Fanfare for the Common Man" Copland, as performed by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

"New York Minute" by Don Henley.

and I like "Pink Houses" by John Mellencamp, too.
  20. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Lot of good ones...
    How about "Don't Tread on Me" Metallica.
    There's a NIN song that seems pretty appropriate too. Don't know the title, but the lyrics are something like "Bow down before the one you serve
    You're going to get what you deserve." Those are the two off of the top of my head. Maybe "The Sentinel" by Judas Priest, but that's a little off topic.