1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs for the ladies?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by superfunk47, Sep 17, 2008.

1. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Are there any songs one might arrange for solo bass that could make the ladies swoon? Some Marcus Miller stuff definitely has that soul/R&B vibe going that makes em crazy. Anything that when they say, "Oohh, you play bass? Play me something!" you can answer with something that'll make em squeal with excitement ;):D

Even others not for solo bass are welcome though :bassist:

2. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    I have always wanted to transcribe the rufus wainwright version of hallelujah for bass... I don't know a single woman who doesn't love that song

3. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Lol if you want to be acoustic guitar d**** bag singing under a tree waiting for women to stop by you should go buy an acoustic guitar.:bag:

I would try Portrait of Tracy by Jaco, its the prettiest solo bass song I can think off...it makes me emotional... I can't imagine what would happen if I had lady parts.

If you can sing you might try "Something" by the Beatles its a love song and the bass line is a melodic solo type thing that is pretty memorable.

4. Milky

Milky

Jan 26, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    What about "Overjoyed" from Victor Wooten's A Show of Hands?

5. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I've found most girls/people don't care much for solo bass (or don't have the ear for it). I think the best rise you'll get out of the typical girl playing on your own is by impressing her with some fast fingerstyle. I know exactly what every girl is thinking the first time they see me play a really fast line.

The old "sit on my amp" and chug on the low B trick works wonders too.

6. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    If your goal is to make them swoon. Place something they would recognize, not something that would make other bassists swoon.

I play The Temptations' My Girl.

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    'Thank You' by Sly And The Family Stone will do it if you can sing it as well.

8. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    "the only time"
    by reznor (nine inch nails)
    live, back in the day, he'd say
    "this next song is about $*%(ing}"
    then the bass kicks in
    "i'm drunk...but right now i'm so in love with you
    and i don't wanna think too much about what we should, or shouldn't do..."
    note...don't confuse this song by a newer NIN song entitled "only"
    which also is bad @$$ and has a nice bass line, but yea, the only time

9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I would think "still got the blues" Gary More
    might do it..:bassist:

10. Anything by Cannibal Corpse.

This, of course, depends on the ladies you're looking to impress. =)

11. sixx788

sixx788

Jan 3, 2007
    Michigan
    Don't ask me why, but something about this bass solo....I love. It just sounds sexy and sleezy. I know it's just a simple lick, but I love it anyway. Hmm....maybe it's just who's playing it, I don't know.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    If i were you i would learn **** Her Gently by Tenacious D. just play the root notes and sing over it.

13. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Audioslave: Dandelion?

I've been trying to do a bass version of that with the guitar chords done with right hand tapping...it's a good song and has some very sweet lyrics (if you feel upto giving your vocal chords a working). God speed to you if you want to try doing the Morello solo!

14. sackvegas

sackvegas

Dec 1, 2006
    All you need is good Bass head, (bobbing your head while playing)

It makes all chicks moist in the crotch

15. sixx788

sixx788

Jan 3, 2007
    Michigan
    Hmmm......Not so much.

16. "This is a song... for the ladies".... You beat me to it!!!! :D

17. SpecialEdd

SpecialEdd

Apr 14, 2008
    Portrait of Tracy.

The end.

18. been there, done that, good memories:smug:

19. Why no try playing around with the low C by d-tuning slightly and bending it to hit the 33Hz... see if the rumor is true...