1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Songs from a "wrong" period of a band that you love

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blazer, May 7, 2006.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay, every band has a "wrong" period, a certain line up or musical direction, you name it, no band is immune to that. And yet there are some Gems from that period, let's name the songs you'll love from a band who was in a "wrong" period when they made them.

Kiss "A world without heroes"
    Coming from their only non-million seller "Music from the Elder." I still think that "a World without heroes" is one of their strongest songs. Really dark and gloomy and recognizable. It also has Paul Stanley playing the solo and it is one of his best.

Fleetwood mac "as long as you follow"
    Everytime I get into discussing the departure of Lindsey Buckingham, I get to hear the same thing. That after Lindsey Buckingham left, they should've stopped the band instead of hiring Rick Vito and Billy Burnette. I never agreed with that, I think they did a fine job. On "as long as you follow" Vito's solo gives me goosebumps and the song itself is one of the most beautifull Christeen Macvie ever wrote.

Madonna "Crazy for you"
    Everybody seems to think that Madonna's first album didn't deserve to get as big as it did since it contained only "Bubblegum crap" songs like "Hollyday" But I can't help but to get goosebumps when I hear "Crazy for you" what I consider one of her most beautifull ballads.

ZZ Top "Rough boy"
    Coming from "Afterburner" their synth pop period as much loathed by hardcore fans as it is loved by open minded people like me. Once again a ballad but one with badass riffing from the Reverend. This one has special memories for me that I won't share on this forum. :twisted:

Genesis "Turn it on again"
    Once again, the Hardcore fans HATED the album from which it came "Duke" they considered Genesis to have sold out. But still, I love the riff, the unusual rythmic pattren and the amazingly tight groove Rutherford and Collins created, what an amazing band they were.

2. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Edit: I just realized that this was songs "you like" from a favorite band's off period. In that case, none of the Dead songs I mentioned qualify. yuck.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The instant I saw this thread, I thought of Genesis.

I like "That's All", "Invisible Touch" and "Land of Confusion". Most of their hits, for that matter. I don't own any of their albums, though.

My first Rolling Stones album was Steel Wheels, which I bought when it came out in 1989. It's not considered their best, but I like it.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    If Yes post-1980 counts, "Endless Dream" and "Homeworld the Ladder" are sweet songs from a band pretty well past their prime:)

I could probably think of more...

5. "Feeling This" by Blink 182 is a pretty darn good song packed in with about 12-13 other songs of pure poo on that album.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hit Me Baby One More Time - Britney Spears (did she ever have a period that wasn't wrong?)

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Tempus Fugit from Yes much panned Drama. Neither Jon Anderson or any of the "Yes" keyboard players on there; only Steve Howe and Chris Squire, joined by another couple of Brits, but it's always been one of my favorite albums of theirs, in particular, Tempus Fugit.

+1 on Turn it On Again.

Also Hey Baby and Pali Gap from Jimi Hendrix Rainbow Bridge, the album that was released for only about a year, just after Cry of Love.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Crazy For You" may have been in the same period as her 1st album-but...
    I don't recall "Crazy For You" being on her debut record...unless it is now due to some "Bonus Cut" cd-issue.
    Anyway, from that debut, I like "Borderline"...Anthony Jackson credited on bass for that track(?).
    Another nice Madonna-style ballad is "Take A Bow"(from a later era).

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love that song.

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute. I hear it was slated by fans. I thought it was a great album, not of the level of Californication but great nonetheless. I think people compared BloodSugarSexMagik to it too much. But you really can't because Dave Navarro is such a different guitarist to John Frusciante.

11. I thought of The Elder as soon as I saw the post!
    I love the whole album and I'm not ashamed to admit it!:hyper:

12. I love both Aeroplane and Pea on One Hot Minute. I think overall OHM is not one of their better efforts, but I do dig those songs!

13. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    "Face Dances" and "It's Hard" by the Who...

Some great (well-recorded) Entwistle, especially "I've Known No War"

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not to mention "How Can You Do It Alone?" - great tone from his Alembic and great playing, too.

Funny, listening to later Who stuff. Often, Entwistle seems to be doing some of his best playing on Townshend songs, and Townshend seems to really rip on the Entwistle songs.

15. Hmm, difficult ones... Entwistle's bass playing and tone is sheer joy to listen to but the songs are lacklustre on 'Face Dances' and just bad on 'It's Hard'.
    What's the one that goes, "There's a sea, indelible"? Jaw-droppingly bad (the song, not the bass).

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    From Metallica's Load/ReLoad era, there were actually a few good songs (and a lot of crap).

Bleeding Me
    The Outlaw Torn
    King Nothing
    The Unforgiven II
    Fixxxer
    Until It Sleeps

And from Iron Maiden's Blaze Bayley era (which sucked beyond belief):

The Clansman
    Blood On The World's Hands
    Sign of the Cross

And finally, from Grace Under Pressure by Rush, there is Distant Early Warning. Probably one of my favourite Rush songs.

Graeme

17. I agree with S_U_Y on the One Hot Minute album. I think it's one of their best albums. It didn't sound like any of their other stuff realyl but how is having Flea and Dave Navarro in one band ever a bad thing?

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dunno...it seemed like it took forever & day for OHM to emerge after BSSM. Was it 5 years?
    From what I read, Navarro just spent too much time tweaking his sound during production(?).
    So, RHCP = more raw, the better.
    Navarro too wrapped up in the minutia of 'his' sound = a bad fit for the Chilis?

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"905" off of "Who Are You" is more like for me.

20. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I am of the opinion that the time from 1981 to now is Rush's strongest period. Most disagree. Anyway, I love every song on every album from Signals to Vapor Trails.

I like Bad Animals, Alone, and There's the Girl off Heart's Bad Animals album, and the tunes Never, Nothing at All, What About Love, and These Dreams off their self-titled album.

I love Yes's Big Generator and 90125 albums. Don't like much else by them.

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar rocked, too.