Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs from the early 90's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by basswilli, Feb 14, 2002.

1. I miss the good ol days, don't you? You know, the days of the Toadies, and the days of early Pearl Jam. Heck, even Nirvana. Someone should make a cd with just the best hard music from the 90's. If you were to make one, what songs would you put on it?

2. Hard?

Pearl Jam - State of Love and Trust...Once...Animal...Go...Blood...Leash...Porch

3. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    how early do you mean? this is my favorite kind of music, and i consider early nineties from 1996 back, so i would include eels~ novicane for the soul, refreshments~banditos, nirvana~(so many good ones, so i'll just pick one)lounge act, soundgarden~(same case as nirvana)the day i tried to live, presidents of the united states of america~either peaches or kittie, blind melon~no rain, stp~wicked garden, 311~don't stay home, and red hot chili peppers~my freinds. wow, that list turned out a lot longer than i had planned, and i didn't even get into pearl jam. hehe, i guess this cd might need to be a 2 cd set! :D

4. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    and toadies~possum kingdom. oh, and, just disregard that last comment in my last post, my sense of humor must have run away. i deserve a good kicking now. :(

5. Pearl Jam - Jeremy
    Alice in Chains - Rooster
    Stabbing Westward - Shame
    Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

all classics :D

I guess Grunge was the word I was looking for up there ^ :)

6. So many of my favourite rock songs were released from 1990-92:

Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
    Nirvana - In Bloom
    Nirvana - Aneurysm
    Soundgarden - Outshined
    AIC - Down In A Hole
    AIC - Dirt
    Kyuss - Thumb
    Pantera - Walk

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Live's "Throwing Copper" is one of the best rock CD's I've heard. Another is Pearl Jam's "Ten". Those epitomize the 90's, for me anyway:D

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hmm, well, let's say this cd would be 12 tracks for me, so.....

1. Soundgarden - Outshined
    2. AIC - Man in the Box
    3. No Rain - Blind Melon
    4. Shine - Collective Soul
    5. Alive - Pearl Jam
    6. Man Who Sold the World (Bowie Cover) - Nirvana
    7. Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms
    8. Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots
    9. When I Come Around - Green Day
    10. Long Way Down - Goo Goo Dolls
    11. Champagne Supernova - Oasis
    12. Everything Falls Apart - Dogs Eye View

and for a hidden track: Standing ouside a broken telephone booth, with money in my hand - Primitive Radio Gods

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

BassWilli, I so totally agree with you that the early 1990s, especially 1992--the breakout year for Grunge--was one of the best for music for that style of music for some reason. I have often wondered if it was indeed that the music had a special quality or if if it was just a stage of my life when I was particularly susceptible to the music.

Without getting specific, I would say a compendium of music from that period would have to contain Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, SoundGarden, Primus, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Pantera, Queensryche, Ozzy (Mama, I'm Coming Home), even Tesla (Signs), Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Live, Collective Soul, Blind Melon, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Faith No More...Metallica...last, but not least.

10. That would be one hell of an album!
    I dont know about 'hard' but if I was gonna make a CD of my fave early 90's stuff it would have to include:

Pearl Jam - Black
    Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself
    REM - Drive
    Nirvana - Heartshaped Box
    RHCP - Soul To Squeeze
    Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm
    Live - Lakinis Juice
    Nirvana - Dumb
    Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
    Guns N Roses - November Rain
    Smashing Pumkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    Silverchair - Tomorrow
    Cranberries - Zombie

11. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    Yes, the nineties were a great time for rock and roll indeed.

Alice in Chains
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Live
    REM's 90's stuff was as cool as anything they did earlier
    Primus
    Radio Head
    Blood Sugar Sex Magic era Red Hot Chili Peppers Soundgarden
    Space Hog (dig that "In the Meantime" bassline) Rage Against the Machine
    Blind Melon
    Dave Matthews Band
    White Zombie/Rob Zombie
    Tool

I think that 15 years from now, people will look on this now just past era with much respect.