Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

songs in key?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Feb 5, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i have written many a song, and now it has come to record a demo....how can me & my band put chords & bass together that's in key with each other, but also the lyrics of the songs themselves?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    [​IMG]

I'm glad you went easy on him Ed

Patrick welcome to the I've been Fuqua'd club, it is an honour. [​IMG]

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Songs in the Key of Life" - one of my favourite albums!

Although Ed has done a sterling job of putting up an answer to the question, I think us "mere mortals" would need more information before even attempting to help.

The main question is - what have you got? Some chords, a bassline or as ED says maybe a melody. Or is it the case as Ed guesses that you only have lyrics and no music?

My second question is - what does your band know already> Does the guitarist (or keyboard player) know how to play chords, does he/she know the names of these chords, or could he/she write out all the notes in the chords that are being played - if so, you could base your basslines on that.

If it is really the case that you have no music written yet and none of the band knows anything about music, then all I can say is start learning now - each member of the band needs to learn about music - preferably though a teacher, another exerienced musician or if this is not possible, from studying books, videos or lessons on the internet.