1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs in standard tuning that sound better dropped?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mbell75, Jan 13, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    One of my new favorite bands right now is Kaleo. They have a song called Broken Bones that has a very old school vibe to it. So I was messing around with my new 5 string while listening to it and the notes thru most the song are G, C, A and D in standard tuning. However, when you play the C and D on the B string it just fits the ominous tone of the song so much better IMO. Ive seen them live several times and the bass player only plays a 4 string and is mostly in standard tuning. Im really liking the flexibility of a 5 string and it got me wondering how many other songs written in standard sound better dropped. Anything come to mind?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

3. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    i wish more songs were written in d standard. to my ear d standard is where the bass sounds like a bass should. not to low and not to high.
    i know that does not answer your question. :unsure:

RoadRanger likes this.
  4. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I like drop d. Really what matters is having that low d, the other strings don't really need to be dropped imho. Besides its easy to go back in forth between standard and drop d, even with out a d-tuner.

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I play in D standard and love it :). The five string is mostly for folks that don't want to play a short scale or use open notes - they can play up the neck instead.

6. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I play a 5 string sub short scale :woot:

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I will say I tend to play my low D and Eb when the original went up to the octave. Especially old songs played the bass up because vinyl and and consumer sound systems of the time couldn't reproduce notes below the "A" string well anyways.

8. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    that is interesting. i always assumed it was the old recording technics that gave them there thin sound. it did not occur to me that it could be the play back equipment that made it sound that way.

9. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    If anything I tend to think it's the other way for the songs we play. I can't speak for metal or such, but the songs we change due to singers range invariably sound worse to my ears.

But I went and bought a 5 string to have that flexibility anyway. I thought about playing in D standard like mentioned before, but the 5 seemed much easier to wrap my head around quickly, and I never could find a string combo I liked for that tuning.

Plus the free thumb rest for playing my normal tunes.