1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs in the key of A and G or both

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Sep 25, 2008.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ok guys, this is going to sound a little weird, but I have something like 22,000 songs and I'm putting together burns for my DJ. I play dub reggae and we are essentially a rhythm section with a DJ. I'm looking for songs in the key of A, G, or both or something in a related key that I could give to him for samples. We're building a library of samples, and for the next gig we're playing quite a few grooves in these keys. Mostly minor keys, but don't let a major stop you from posting. Beyond the songs that I know how to play, I'm looking for stuff that I might be able sample. It doesn't have to be just reggae. We listen and sample from a lot of different genres. Hip Hop, Jazz, Country, Funk, Reggae, Dancehall, Bluegrass even.

I figured that TB of all places, with all the different types of players here, might be able to steer me in some sort of direction. I bet I might have a lot of your selections. So let them rip.

Yeah, I'm aware that most songs swing around a lot of different keys, but something that have cool sections would work too. Remember these are samples.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

2. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LOL. Ok, maybe that was too specific. How about songs with parts that would make cool loops or samples? Forget the key.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    My Sharona?

4. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LOL. You know that might be kind of cool. Thanks. Anything else guys?

5. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Night Nurse riddim (gregory issacs) is all A and G.. Carlton Livingston(from carlton and the shoes) trodding through is too(almost the same rhythm as night nurse).

My pick would have to be Dennis Brown's - Here I come

6. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    thanks drifta. My band plays night nurse, so I'm very familiar with that great song. I have both of your other suggestions. Gonna go check em out right now. Thanks. :)

7. Jungle boogie, another one bites the dust, rappers delight, Every breath you take

8. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    ^Thanks Steve.

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    The Weight ~The Band

10. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Hava Nageela ~ trad arr :bassist:

hey hey hey hey!! :hyper:

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    What about "sampling" the main groove to Kyuss's One Inch Man?

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    I'm going through my iTunes and playing along with some songs to figure out for ya (wipes brown stuff from nose). I know you like phish so that is the first library I went through. These are all album versions. I'm sure the live version are the same unless
    Trey and Mike are out of tune (not likely).

Key of A
    ~Sand
    ~Sample in a Jar
    ~Ghost
    ~Wedge

Key of G
    ~Bug
    ~Sleep
    ~Golgi Apparatus
    ~Roggea (I think)

Other Songs not by Phish

Key Of A
    Lebanese Blonde ~Thievery Corporation
    Exilo ~Thievery Corporation
    Feel Like a Stranger ~Grateful Dead
    U.S. Blues ~Grateful Dead
    Bombs Away ~The Police

Key Of G
    Sarbosa ~Beastie Boys
    Chorus of People Say ~The Meters

Okay I could go on but this is what I've got so far. Take them with a grain of salt as I'm assuming by the first note played and those notes may be something other than the root.

13. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Dude. Thanks. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I have every single one of these songs, multiple live versions of Phish and Dead. Thanks. This has given me some great ideas. :D

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    My Pleasure

15. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Lively Up Yourself by Bob Marley
    Smoke on the Water?