Songs in there "Correct" form?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by davegr8house, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Hello All,
    As some of you may know I`ve been a DB`r now for approx. three years. I study with a Teacher and will soon start with a second. I study Jazz and Orchestral. To be honest I love both and look forward to the day I can pursue playing in a Jazz Band and Community Orchestra but at this time I work weird afternoon hours so I cant and put the 100% into them make rehearsals :rolleyes: . Right now I am very content learning, knowing that when the time comes I`ll be as prepaired as I can. Anyway to my question...
    I`m having a problem with my Jazz knowledge. Honestly I have not "been into" Jazz for many years as a lot of you and....well...I dont know these songs. I recongnize the melody alot of time but honestly not often. I grew up listening to "Hard Rock :meh: " in my youth and "Summertime" was not in my Tape Case. I started a couple of years ago a Jazz collection very small mind you, but I have started one so these standards are starting to get in my head. Heres my problem. There is so much improvisation "which is great" that I`m having trouble getting the "correct" chord progression and melody lines and verse lines to know how it is suppost to be played so I can`t have an appreation for what artist is doing improvising. I dont know if this is making ANY sense. My Teacher has me listen to alot of Louis Armstrong for this reason. He says Louis pretty much stuck to correct Charts. Wellll, a man can only listen to so much Louis Armstrong before he has to turn the dial.
    Can you make any other suggestions of Artist that I can listen to that stays true to "correct" chord/melody/verse structure most of the time? I`ve gotten some Jazz Vocalist CD`s also and that helps. Any Advice and help would be appreciated.
    Thank you for your time...

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    RULE NUMBER ONE: There's only one correct form . . . the one that everybody else on the bandstand is playing!

There are so many fine tunes which either (i) have "classic" versions by people not fortunate enough to be Louis Armstrong or (ii) may be slightly too modern for Satch. One does not look to Louis for the definitive version of, say, "Confirmation" or "Footprints." So, where do ya find them?

b) for those with DSL or cable
    c) The cryptic notations in the fake-book
    d) The Smithsonian Collection of Classic Old Jazz

The thing that really impresses me, Dave, is that you're learning by listening. This puts you ahead 19 out of 20 folks who started with fake books.

I hope this helps.
  3. Thank you Samuel,
    I do appreciate your advice. The DB has just hooked me. I love playing. I`ve played EB sense I was 14 but the DB is like...well you know. Learning Jazz Standards is all new and fresh which is exciting. I started out with basic 12 bar blues and my Teacher and I have been building ever sense. Sense I`m also studing the Bow this process has been slow but I think it is a good thing. I now can listen or watch a Bassist and know what hes doing to a extent. I must say, that TalkBass has been a HUGE influence on me. The information available is staggering. I wish I would of had TalkBass...gezz..16! years ago. I just hope to be one of the chosen few that can play the DB as it should, when it should, because it should. Well I`m off to practice. This week it`s "Indiana".