Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs of your childhood? (Parents' taste in music)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jun 23, 2003.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Following a recent discussion with some friends, I thought it might be interesting to ask fellow TalkBassers "Which music was playing around your house during your childhood?". Despite being born in '81, I grew up listening mostly to soul of the '60s and '70s. Although there was plenty of Motown, Stax,Philly soul and disco about the house, I can remember some other "classic" '70s tracks receiving regular play on the turntable(see last couple of list entrys below! ;)). Some of the tracks that take me back a few years are:

Earth, Wind and Fire - 'September'

Barry White - 'Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe'

Shalamar - 'A Night to Remember'

Demis Roussos - 'Forever and Ever' - Ever seen Abigail's Party? :D

Barbra Streisand - 'Woman in Love' and with Barry Gibb,'Guilty' - Thanks Mom!

Curious to see what sort of stuff other TBers grew up listening to.

2. I didn't start listening to pop music until I was about 12, so the only music I really heard was the tapes my parents would listen to in the car. It was mostly folk rock stuff like Simon & Garfunkel, Ralph McTell and Steeleye Span. I loved Simon & Garfunkel, and still do, but I thought most of the rest of it was pretty bad. The single song that reminds me most of my childhood would have to be "The Boxer" by S&G. Gotta love that song.

3. King Crimson-Frame By Frame, Elephant Talk

Laurie Anderson-Monkey's Paw

Phish-Bouncing Around The Room

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Beatles.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sergej Prokofjev - Peter And The Wolf

6. Lots of European pop. Mostly Polish music. Bleh.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I didn't get into much pop until highschool.. some stuff I remember was Rossini, Kingston trio, Pete Seger, various Hymns, and Pavoratti. Mostly folk, classical, and religious stuff.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tina Turner and Rod Stewart are two of my mom's favorite, so there was lots of them, as well as Beach Boys and Paula Abdul, some Janis Joplin, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo (sp?) as well.

My dad, due to work scheduals, literally wasn't there for half the year or better, so his taste in music (classic rock) never really factored into my childhood.

Hrmn...other than that, not a whole lot that I can remember.

9. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Harry Belafonte, Andy Williams, and Englebert Humperdink come to mind. ;)

10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I recall hearing Black Sabbath's "Sold our Souls For Rock and Roll" quite often as a wee lad. Also, my Mom was a big beatles fan. Ummm, Pink Floyd's "Animals", "Darkside of the Moon", and "Wish You Were Here" all got lots of rotation at my house. Let's see....Lynyrd Skynyrd was played often, especially "One More From The Road" and "Street Survivors". I remember hearing lots of Billy Joel, The Eagles, Ted Nugent, Peter Frampton, Chicago, Boston, Supertramp, The Doobie Brothers, and ZZ Top (the early stuff not the 80's MTV incarnation). I grew up in the 70's (in case you couldn't tell) and my parents are both 20 years older than me so they were still pretty hip back then....

These days my Mom still loves the Beatles and she is a big Tom Petty fan.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I also remember my parents playing "The Who By Numbers" album alot. I used to love the song "Squeeze Box" but didn't quite get the innuendo as a kid. :D

11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Some of my favorite music when I was growing up were War's The World is a Ghetto, Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack, Simon and Garfunkel, and Billy Joel.

Also my mom tells me that when I was in my crib she would put a radio within my reach and I would always turn on the classical music station.

12. ...

Pink Floyd - "Another Brick In The Wall"

Promises - "Baby It's You"

George McCray - "Rock Your Baby"

Booker T. & the MGs - "Time Is Tight"

Buggles - "Video Killed The Radio Star" (nice bass line in that one)

Earth & Fire - "Weekend"

Visage - "Mind Of A Toy"

Supertramp - "Dreamer"

Van Halen - "Jamie's Cryin'"

Robert Palmer - "Johnny And Mary"

Cliff Richard - "We Don't Talk Anymore" / "Carrie"

Toyah - "I Want To Be Free"

Petula Clark - "Downtown"

Village People - "YMCA" (*laughs* I had no idea what that song was all about when I was a kid, but I was really impressed by the guys' costumes!)

The Police - "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"

Luv - "Trojan Horse" :D

Adam & the Ants - "Prince Charming"

Lulu - "I'm A Tiger"

Genesis - "Abacab"

Status Quo - "Whatever You Want" / "What You're Proposing"

Nick Straker Band - "A Walk In The Park"

And a german music trend called NDW ("Neue Deutsche Welle", = "New German Wave")

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I listened to Guns N Roses and Twisted Sister when I was 5 or 6.. My sister listened to them.

14. funkyNeohyte

funkyNeohyte Guest

Jun 8, 2003
    las vegas, nv
    my father didn't smoke, didn't drink and was faithful to one woman. however, he did have an amazing amount of reocrds and tapes.

albums/songs from my childhood:

stevie wonder : innervisions

ray, goodman & brown (the album with special lady) on it

the commodorres (sp) Easy

the spinners: sadie

the isley brothers: at your best

Everything Earthwind and Fire ever did (my parents song was): Reasons,

but also people make the world go round, fantasy, dancing in september

Larry Grahm: one in a million

Heatwave: Always and forever

this thread is making me homesick

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my folks graduated high school in 64 and I came along 4 years later. My old man had a wide selection of vinyl. Santana, Beatles, Led Zep, George Benson, Fleetwood Mac, Earl Klug (not sure of the last name... nylon string jazz guy), CSN&Y, Simon&Garfunkel, that really campy disco/classical album with Beethoven's 5th :rolleyes: Carpenters

Mom dug disco dancing, she had all the typical stuff, BeeGees, Summers, Gaynor, EW&F, Commadors, Spinners, etc. but she did cry for Lennon and went with my Aunt to the NYC memorial service. Paul was her fav though. She also dug do-wop big time... it was her thing prior to the british invasion.

I grew up with records and radio. Dad had a harmon-kardon component system backed by a 300watt per side power amp that he built himself (he's an engineer) and switchable speakers in the family room, living room and/or outside on the deck. The main family room speakers were 3way with 15" woofers, the living room had 3way with 12" :cool:

Mom played woodwinds, Dad strummed a guitar. Mom's Dad was a smokin country&western guitarist (Chet & Roy styles), her Mom had a Hammond B3 in the livingroom... Dad's Mom had a spinet.

16. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    when i was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, the sounds in my home consisted of james taylor, willie nelson, carol king, crosby, stills, and nash, carly simon, dan fogelberg, etc.

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My parents listened to a lot of big band and swing music, especially my father. He also enjoyed classical music and even some opera. Both parents liked to watch TV music shows such as Dinah Shore, Rosemary Clooney, Andy Williams, Perry Como, and Ed Sullivan who featured many top music stars of those times. Bob Hope had frequent specials that featured top singers, too. Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were very popular then,. I liked Frank, but not Crosby. He bored me. I loved Fred Astaire specials as much for his dancing as his music. I dreamed of dancing with him. Boy, have my tastes changed! I don't think I'd look twice at him now.

My Mom watched Lawrence Welk, which taught me how much I dislike polka. She also listened to country and Western music on the radio...I dislike that genre to this day, over forty years later.

"Rock and roll" as we know it did not come into fashion until my preteen years. I was an instant fan.

My dad was a huge fan of George Gershwin whose music I admire to this day. I also love much of Cole Porter's music and dislike much of it. How can anyone who wrote such gorgeous music write such bad stuff, too? I still enjoy Johnny Mercer's work,even more now than as a child.

My mother enjoyed musicals of those times such as "Kismet", "South Pacific" and "My Fair Lady." I still like that music, too, but can't seem to enjoy present day musicals.

18. A lot of Alice Cooper, Yes, and Frank Zappa from my dad. Rod Stewart and Cher from my mom.

19. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I grew up in the early 80s and I remember the radio songs from that era due to my parents. However, most of their record collections are from their high-school/college days in the 70s. My mom liked the mellower stuff like Seals & Croft, Boz Skaggs, James Taylor, and Stevie Wonder. My dad was into The Guess Who, Heart, the Moody Blues, Kansas, Thin Lizzy, Head East, Yes, Boston, and ELO.

However, the 80s bands are what have stuck with me through the years. Bands like Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work, Huey Lewis & The News, and The Police. The Cars are still one of my all time favorite bands, if only for nostalgia reasons.

20. I was born in 1955, and my parents' era was the 40's. So grew up with big band stuff (Glenn Miller, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, etc.) and the "hip stuff" - the Kingston Trio and Nat King Cole....

I discovered the Beatles in 1964 when I won a 45 rpm record in Humpty-Dumpty potato chips. It was "From me to You", the B-side was "Thank You Girl". My folks' old Schaub-Lorenz Hi-Fi was NEVER the same after that!

As we say in the music biz - it's all good!:D