Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs or Covers To Avoid Playing?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've seen a few threads on good songs to cover. I thought it would be fun to get one going on songs not to cover. Songs you have done or something that you've heard a band do - something that just didn't go over well. Anybody have anything from the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" files?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Brown Eyed Girl is to be avoided every time it's possible.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Paranoid
    Iron Man
    Stairway to Heaven
    Freebird
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Highway to Hell
    Living After Midnight

More to come...............

4. Most of the last list I can agree with... But Stairway? Never ever heard a cover band try it.. I know my guitar player suggested it, but the singer shot it down

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    La Charanga

if someone asks for that one, play achy-breaky heart instead

6. Booooo, I like playing that one...Really easy and simple, but fun. My band energized it a bit though...

7. Now if you want "it seemed like a good idea at the time" songs...

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer
    "Rugrats" theme
    Monster Mash

GAWD I hate Monster Mash :spit:

8. "Hit Me Baby One More Time". You know, the "punk" band that thinks they're the only people to ever think of doing that, and it ALWAYS turns out terrible and not even remotely funny.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My band played the Monster Mash for a halloween gig we had. It went over pretty well then, but the aftermath has just been terrible. Every gig we have my ***hole roommate won't stop yelling "monster mash. we want the monster mash!!." I think I'm gonna have to take him off of the guest list or quit telling him about my gigs.

Brown Eyed Girl is one of our best crowd pleasers. It's hard not to play it. But then again my band is a bunch of sellouts whose main goal when forming the band was just to make money, get free booze, and possibly some women. We're still working on that last one.:D

10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    That song from Titanic:bawl:

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Amen to that one!

The song to avoid is the cool song that no-one in your band can sing well. Tunes off of Operation Mindcrime are awesome, but who can sing like Geoff Tate? Or you have someone from the crowd request Immigrant Song. Robert Plant can't pull that one off anymore, he has to use a sampler to do it lately. Or how about a song by Journey? Steve Perry sings so damn high, that it takes a chick to do it. All it takes is a crappy vocal to ruin a tune.

12. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Luckily our singer can. Were doing a few Queensryche tunes, of which my personal favorite is "Anybody Listening?" off the Empire disc.

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Lucky for you! :D

14. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Unfortunately, the songs we musicians want to avoid are the very ones we HAVE to play if we wanna get paid. Here's my short list of songs I could do without ever playing again:

Hard To Handle
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    The Joker
    I Wanna Rock and Roll
    Jungle Love
    No Parking On The Dance Floor
    Kick Start My Heart

There are plenty more but I cant list them now because I HAVE TO GO REGURGITATE!! :(

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My personal "WILL NOT PLAY" list:

Crazy train, or any ozzy/before that, bark at the moon is the only one I would be interested in.
    ANY Skynard
    ANY AC/DC
    Cumbersome: seven mary three
    Runnin' with the devil: VH
    Stranglehold: Nugent

Tons more, but am drawing a blank

Glad I don't play in a classic band!

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When you go to the Carvin factory to try out some guitars or basses, they have a "Forbidden Riffs List" in each room. Most of these songs are on the list.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of course, you'll want to avoid the worst song ever written, "MacArthur Park."

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Kinda like the Wayne's World movie - if I remember correctly, there's a scene in a music store where 'Wayne' finds himself in violation of a sign that read 'no Stairway to Heaven' or somesuch. :)

Heh - you and Dave Barry are in agreement there ;)

Okay - a confession - I have a strange and unhealthy fascination with 'The Wreck of the Edumund Fitzgerald.' No, I wouldn't want to cover it with a band - just that when I catch it on an oldies station while radio surfing in the car, I don't immediately skip past it in horror! :eek:

19. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    No Stairway.............Denied!!:D

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Good tune, we used to do The Mission and I Dont Believe in Love.

songs to avoid IMO are

anything by: AC/DC, Kiss, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Lynard Skynard. Just to name a very small few