1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs people have to stop covering

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 10, 2010.

1. As I have an ad out, I get emails from bands and a bunch of them have sent their set list to me.

Ok here are the songs I am tired of seeing on these lists:

Brown Eyed Girl
    That stupid Jenny song with the phone number
    Take It Easy

Anything Skynyrd

Ok, sorry, I actually love the old Skynyrd.

Oh yeah: Margaritaville.

2. I doubt they perform those songs because they want to. They perform them because the listeners(who buy beer, who add to bar ring-out) want to hear them.

_DZ_

3. Any and all Nickelback songs.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

A true pro will nail Mustang Sally (without making it "funky") and have the paying customer believe it's the pro's favorite song.

It's part of party/coverband territory.

A person who gigs in most scenarios needs to master sales more than bass playing.

5. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Lol - Bryan Adams - summer of 69 (puke) hahahah

6. cinematicpro

cinematicpro

Mar 10, 2010
    Mustang Sally.... !
    Jumpin Jack Flash...
    :bag:

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    In a cover band, you're supposed to keep people in the bar drinking and dancing and maximize the bars return on the investment they made in hiring your band.

That can mean playing Browneyed girl, Roadhouse blues, Jenny Jenny and a plethora of other songs that aren't particularly challenging, that the females want to dance to.

They aren't particularly challenging, and you get paid to play them. I wish I had a day job that was that easy!

Any cover tune is only as boring as you make it.

8. I think you misplaced some words in the topic. It should be:
    People have to stop covering songs.

;)

9. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I have played in mostly classic rock bands for years and about five years ago I really wanted to try something different. Myself and my guitar player left a band of seven years and started from scratch with the idea of playing newer material, we got a new drummer and a female singer and now we have maybe 2 songs that were written before the 80's, we now play R&B, Rock, Reggae, Dance and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
    When we were ready to gig I called our agent and told him about our new band and he actually said
    "I don't need another Mustang Sally Band!"

10. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We do mostly harder newer stuff, but people still request Mustang Sally. I for one am game to play it. It's money in the bank. The rest of the band will usually staunchly refuse. I don't think that makes the chick requesting it feel as special as we're supposed to make her feel.

What the heck do I know? I'm just the bassplayer! :bassist:

11. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Amarillo By Morning.

I live in Amarillo and there is always some Redneck who wants to hear it so he can dance with his mate. I can take Margaritaville, Mustang Sally, and Brown Eyed Girl, but never seen how Amarillo by Morning fits in. Oh well, its not uncommon to go out to eat and hear the jungle of spurs on some dudes boots walking around either.

Rant over.

12. Guys, guys, guys, I totally get the "it's what get chicks going" but seriously, chicks don't "get going" on Jenny Jenny anymore.

Or Brown Eyed Girl.

You'd be surprised how much tail was wagging when we played Voodoo.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This one is intriguing to me cause I started jamming with some guys a couple months ago, my first band, and we're starting to think about trying to play out and what to put together for a setlist. The drummer has been in and out of bands over the years and was bound and determined not to play the same old covers, so we're looking to pick a set with a good set of dance tunes but things that are a little off the beaten track. I could go either way but, frankly, never liked Margaritaville or Summer of 69.

So here's my question; does your average club/bar/party crowd need to recognize the song to want to dance to it, or will they respond to a good beat whatever the song is?

14. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    When good looking drunk women quit requesting them, I'll quit playing them. Until then... Jenny Jenny who can I turn to?

15. Kid Rock - all summer long. I know it's relatively new, and we hardly play it - but I want it to STOP!!!!!!

16. One of the bands my bass instructor is in plays Mustang Sally. They actually look forward to it as it's the last song they play - so when it comes up, they're looking at being able to start loading out and going home once it's played! I suppose that's one way to make you anticipate playing one of the songs you've played so often it can become boring.

17. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Not surprising at all. It's in my repertoire as well. But the same chick shaking her tailfeather to Voodoo, will turn around and ask for Mustang Sally.

18. Fat240

Fat240

Feb 19, 2010
    Lynchburg, VA
    anything Romones, Rock'in in the Free World. no way!!

19. "Pride & Joy." Been done to death by every blues rock cover band.

"When I Come Around." Plenty of decent Green Day songs to cover without doing this one.

20. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    How many guitar players does it take to learn Pride and Joy??

Apparently all of them!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020