Songs played with stick?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jan 31, 2005.

1. does anyone know any songs played with a stick or similar? Or Bands that use them? Ive become increadably interested in how they sound, I thing their one of the ebst sounding intruments.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There's tons of stick on Peter Gabriel's So record. John Paul Jones has a bunch of stick on his solo stuff, and any King Crimson CD from 1981 will have alot on there too.

There's some mp3s you can download off the Warr website:
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    John Myung on "New Millenium" from Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity

Tony Levin (any songs) on Liquid Tension Expirement 1 and 2
  4. fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    Doesn't the dude from Pearl Jam play a stick as well?

5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There's a band called Laundry that has a couple of albums out in which pretty much every song has stick on it. The drummer is Tim "Herb" Alexander from Primus. They play together on and off and have only put out two albums, Blacktongue and Motivator. The stick player is Ian Varriale. I only have Blacktongue myself and it's got some pretty nice stick sounds on it. Laundry is pretty dark music.

There also used to be a group (from Texas I believe) called Ten Hands that featured a stick player but I don't know that they ever released anything nationally on a major label.

Some places you might look are the Chapman Stick website (Which I think features a running list of stick artists and bands with stick) and Tony Levin's website, which has a lot of albums with him playing stick with other people.

brad cook
  6. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Check out the Robert Fripp String Quintet CD and David Sylvian's The First Day featuring Trey Gunn on Stick. I also recommend the for more artsists.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Both Greg Howard and Sean Malone recordings are in the upper echelon of Chapman Stickists, both coming from very different areas of music. Howard is based in "jazz fusion" and "jam band" styles - he's friends/recorded/toured with Dave Matthews Band both as an opener and a sub when Stefan Lessard had to bow out for a tour.

Malone's based more in the harder-edged "progressive rock/metal" genre, having recorded with Bill Buford, Steve Hackett, Trey Gunn, John Myung, Jim Matheos, and other high-profile "progressive" musicians on his "Gordian Knot" and "Cortlandt" albums. He's also a killer fretless bassist and gifted with all-around musical brilliance - he's currently teaching at the University of Oregon while finishing up his doctorate in Music Theory.

...and not to bring up the tired "Chapman Stick vs. Warr Guitar" debate, but realize that there is a sound difference, with the Warr having much more of a guitar-shaped and wood-influenced sound and the Stick based on a more minimalist design with a much smaller body and now carbon graphite and BassLab composite resonant beam models which does come out in it's sound - to my ears, slightly more percussive and sharper, whereas a Warr is a bit rounder, owing to it's larger body, exotic wood options, and Bartolini pickups vs. the Stick's Stickup/EMG/Villex pickups.

Neither one is better or worse, simply different. Some people like Breyers, some like Ben & Jerry's. :D
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love the fat low-end tone of the stick. I've never heard anything quite like it from a traditional bass.

brad cook