1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Songs that are ruined by annoying or stupid parts or solos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fredrik E. Nilsen, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. So, you're listening to a good song. Then suddenly, there's a part or solo or something that ruins it. You just can't stand it and have to turn it off. To me, "What's going on" is a good example. Everything is fine until Marvin Gaye starts with the "ai-ai-ai"-thing on the Amin part. It makes me want to throw my headset in the river.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    For me, it can be vocals in general. Some band is so grooving hard. “Oh, this song is bangin’!” Then, the singer comes in and I can’t skip fast enough. But, I’m a bigger fan of instrumental music in general. Give me Willie Mitchell or Booker T. & The MGs anyday.

3. So many rap breaks on rock songs in the 90s! Yeesh.

TH63, rd2rk, ONYX and 17 others like this.
  4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Jack relax.....

5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Almost all parts when the singer sings in Styx...

6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Sittin' on the dock of the bay,
    Throwin' my headphones away...

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The sign of the true master is knowing when to say “It’s finished.” and then stop. Just stop.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm with the OP's perspective that many tunes can nose dive at certain junctures (often a bridge, IME). "what's goin' on" is such a classic that i think i've just accepted it for what it is, but i take the point.

9. Who knew that Lewis Carroll had good advice for modern music?

Lewis Carroll — 'Begin at the beginning, the King said, very gravely, and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'

10. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Long drum solos in the middle of what's otherwise an absolute banger. :dead:

11. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Drum solos period, period.

Kijuer, Rattfink, retslock and 9 others like this.
  12. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    giphy.gif

PeterH, ICM, getbent and 14 others like this.
  13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Most Rush songs. I’m a fan until the singing begins. I also hate 80’s saxophone solos.

14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Something George Lucas never learned with Episodes IV, V and VI. He was always monkeying with them until the day he sold his company.

15. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    You know how that guy in The Roots on Fallon's show starts with the "Hey!" and the "Huh!" and alla that? I hafta hit "mute". Phenomenal band, tho'.

BigNotes likes this.
  16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Audioslave. Tom kills the feel in quite a few of their songs with his "solos."

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Everything is good up til about 0:11

Elfsocks and BrianNYC like this.
  18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Yeah dude, drum solos are for the end of the song. Then everybody finishes together, or does one last chorus run. That's about it. unless you opt to start off with a drum solo? That could work.

Quantized Harmonic and HolmeBass like this.
  19. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I think some producers have a mindset that every song needs a "bridge" !
    well, turns out not every song needs a bridge, and many songs have been ruined with bridges that sound forced, unnatural and labored.

20. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I’ve been in three very good original projects over the past 30 years. My number one mantra (generally ignored)...EVERY SONG DOESN'T NEED A SOLO. Apologies for raising my voice, I feel strongly about this. As an aside, my current band is going through guitarist like Spinal Tap did drummers. That means 90+% of the material was written by the singer, keyboard and bass. Guess what? Less solos. /end rant

TH63, Bob Lee (QSC), Kijuer and 9 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021