Songs that everyone likes - help wanted.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hujo, Jun 26, 2002.

1. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi all. Earlier tonight i got a phone call from an old music teacher of mine, where he asked me to be the leader of a group of musicians around my age, slightly younger, that will perform on the streets of my town for a couple of weeks during the summer. It's a project that the city launched a couple of years ago, and I played in these groups the first two years. I have quite a few songs that we can play, but I'm not sure i have enough. So, I was hoping anyone could recommend some good songs that will catch the people walking by. It doesn't have to be songs that everyone instantly recognizes (though that is good), but they have to be good enough for the people to stop and listen to us.

The setting is; a couple of acoustic guitars, piano (synth), singers, bass, light percussion, and I think we have a cello aswell. I'll probably be playing violin on some numbers.

We start this monday, so I'm beginning to feel kind of stressed!

So, what songs will work in captivating the audience, and work with this setting? I really, really would appreciate if anyone could contribute with a song or two!

2. 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan. Everyone like it, and it would be a great song to use the violin and backup singers.
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    alot of disco tunes likes "we are a family", "celebrate good times"(something like that),"ymca",some classic rock tunes like "iron man","kashmir",any Beatles songs,the best would be "the hustle" i love that song!doot doot doot da doot doot doot doot
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Yeah, the folksy beatles tunes are hard to beat, especially with the two guitars. "You gotta hide your love away" and the like. Also, Dylan's tunes, like "A hard rain's a-gonna fall"

Simon and Garfunkel also have a lot of great tunes. "The sound of silence" is a really cool.
  5. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks alot guys! I'll keep those in mind.

I have lots of old stuff, that I think might work good, like Son of a preacherman, Brown Eyed Girl, etc, but I also need some more contemporary stuff, the stuff that makes people go, "hey, i heard that on the radio last week!", or songs that were big hits last year and so.. The old songs work great though, don't get me wrong, but I need to balance it out with some newer stuff too. Since i lost MTV and the other music channels, I haven't been keeping up with what's hip. Any tips?

One of the problems we had the first year was that we had too many soft songs, people just walked by if it got to calm.

Keep it coming people, I appreciate it, and I'll keep you updated on what we play, and what the people likes!
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I REALLY dont like this song,but its new,its soft and hard,and its popular...

"complitcated" by Avril Lavigne
  7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    shes hot, and I love her voice, but alas, I too hate the song. :)
  8. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    do beach boys songs - theyre relatively easy, and everyone knows them all

and weezer, theyre easy and popular too.
  9. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    While im not a paticular fan of THAT song, her whole cd is really good....a good mix of style...and yes she is quite possibily the hottest female on the planet...never seen her? take a look @ my avatar!

:D :D
  10. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Agreed :D
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    OH, and that chick, she is so mother loving hot! Once I saw her (even with her wanna be badass outfit) I began rompling my television.
  12. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
  13. "Disarm" by the Smashing Pumpkins features a regular lineup plus a violin and a cello, you could also do "Atlantic City" and "Youngstown" by Springsteen (Make sure you aim for the live versions), "Hey Jude" would also work. That's all I can think of right now.
  14. Any Motown, O'Jay's, Spinners, 4 Tops, etc. will get the booties movin'!
  15. Do some Police songs; "walking on the moon", "message in a bottle". Or what about "LA woman" by The Doors. Perhaps "breaking the girl" or "soul to squeeze" by the chilli peppers. Or hell you could do "sympathy for the devil" by the stones. The Clash also have quite a few good songs; "police and thieves" or "guns of brixton."
  16. Yeah, I second Guns of Brixton. Very easy and it was also one of the few written by Paul Simonon, the bassist :)
  17. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bumb, and thanks for the tips guys!
  18. wish you were here.

there are some radiohead tunes that might work, if you can pull 'em off - let down, for example.