1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs that make you cry

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Oct 18, 2006.

1. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Hellow..

yesterday I was listening to some online radio when they streamed 2 beautiful songs (Alter Bridge - In loving memory and Funeral For a Friend - History) that reminded me about some past things that I went throught...

and.. I've actually cried a little ..
    because I was happy that I want throught those hard times that were described in those songs (Alter Bridge talked about the lost of a important person in yout life... funeral actually talked about drinking problems that the singer went throught.. thank God I didn't have them.. I've had some other ones..but I'm here :)

So.. .can you write down some songs, A Song ... that... almost everytime you hear it, it touches your heart ?

Metal, rock, Pop .. it doesen't matter.. just write down the songs that have the "key to your heart" :D

thank you.

2. Wichita Lineman, " I need you more than want you, but I want you for all time". Gets me every time when I think about a particular lost love.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Pretty much anything by Ashlee Simpson.

I cried when I heard the St Anger album by Metallica too.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    With me, it's usually songs that have a anthem like quality to them, like "Bridge over troubled water" and "Hey Jude". I love songs that swell and have a climax.

...what?

5. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    whenever i hear someone like take that, or some boybands with cheesy songs and lyrics all over the radio and music channels 24/7, that makes me cry

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The only song that really makes me feel like I want to cry is:

The Ballad of Sam Stone by John Prine

IMO, that song deals with some heavy subject matter that is just all too real. I don't know if it's based on a true story or not, but it doesn't matter - there are 1000's of true stories out there just like it. I cry for the kids. I cry for the soldiers that came home with a purple heart and a monkey on their back. I cry for all the kids that run around wearing other people's clothes while the gold runs through daddy's veins...

Sam Stone came home,
    To his wife and family
    After serving in the conflict overseas.
    And the time that he served,
    Had shattered all his nerves,
    And left a little shrapnel in his knee.
    But the morphine eased the pain,
    And the grass grew round his brain,
    And gave him all the confidence he lacked,
    With a Purple Heart and a monkey on his back.

Chorus:
    There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes,
    Jesus Christ died for nothin' I suppose.
    Little pitchers have big ears,
    Don't stop to count the years,
    Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios.
    Mmm....

Sam Stone's welcome home
    Didn't last too long.
    He went to work when he'd spent his last dime
    And Sammy took to stealing
    When he got that empty feeling
    For a hundred dollar habit without overtime.
    And the gold rolled through his veins
    Like a thousand railroad trains,
    And eased his mind in the hours that he chose,
    While the kids ran around wearin' other peoples' clothes...

Repeat Chorus:

Sam Stone was alone
    When he popped his last balloon
    Climbing walls while sitting in a chair
    Well, he played his last request
    While the room smelled just like death
    With an overdose hovering in the air
    But life had lost its fun
    And there was nothing to be done
    But trade his house that he bought on the G. I. Bill
    For a flag draped casket on a local heroes' hill.

Repeat Chorus

:bawl:

7. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    "Brenda and Eddie" by Billy Joel. I knew a couple who were Brenda and Eddie for all practical purposes and they were breaking up around the time the song came out. It gets me every time.

8. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    muse - blackout
    x japan - endless rain

9. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Neutralk Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

not the song itself, but the entire album usually evokes a large range of emotions in me, and I have shed a few tears listening to it.

10. Hearing the greatness of Chuck Schuldiner in his music makes me think of the enormous loss the world suffered when he died. I dont cry, but it upsets me and makes me miss him, even though I only know him through his music. 'Voice of the Soul' especially.

If you don't know who Chuck is, educate yourself.

11. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mountain's recording of "Theme for an Imaginary Western." I'm listening to it right now and tearing up.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "3 Views of a Secret" gets to me a little.

13. The first 4 minutes of "Starless" by King Crimson

...if it wasn't for the change around 4:20mins, I would probably not want to listen to it...because it sounds so desolate and sad...but the part after 4:20mins is one of the hardest rocking things I ever have heard in my life.

14. "Wake me up before you go-go"

:crying:
    sniff, sniff,
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Ok - on the serious side... I saw an Elton John concert on cable recently where he had a video behind him giving the explanation to his song, "Daniel" - which sounds so nice and light, but seems to be about a small boy missing a dead brother, killed in a war.

Now the video was rather homo-erotic too, so maybe I just missed the point, but when I was getting the, "I miss my brother" story, it actually made me teary.

15. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Too true, Jack's original also hits me right there.

For me, Badfinger's Without You is extremely emotional, even though Harry Nilsson had the hit. O Caroline by Matching Mole is the only progressive rock song to bring me to tears.

16. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Jaqueline du Pre's recording of Elgar's Concerto for Cello in E minor. Gets me every time.

17. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've shed a tear or two over an obscure Ray Davies tune Missing Person from his Return to Waterloo soundtrack. I'm not sure why - something in his voice & and the lyric.

18. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    'Since I've been loving you'

(Led Zep)

19. Jorge Degas - the first of august

my best friend said he cried to Alice in Chains - Whale and Wasp, its a pretty song

20. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    "The Engine Driver" by the Decemberists.