Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs That Should Be Longer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 22, 2005.

1. You ever been listening to a song, loving it, then it just ends seemingly prematurely? I HATE that. There's a bunch of songs that I love to death, but hate at the same time cause I wish they had another 2 or 3 minutes on them. Songs like:
    Rolling Stones--Gimme Shelter and Jumpin' Jack Flash
    Beatles--While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Skynyrd--Sweet Home Alabama (I wanna hear the rest of that piano solo!!)
    Jimi Hendrix--Castles Made Of Sand
    Sublime--Santeria
    Edgar Winter--Free Ride

There's probably more I'm forgetting. Which songs do you wish were longer?

2. inna godda davida--iron butterfly

3. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Jimi Hendrix - little wing
    Rancid - Maxwell Murders

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    The Misfits - Dig Up Her Bones

That song's chorus could go on for days and I would never get bored.

Graeme

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Most songs really. Just about any song I really like, I'd probably like more if it was a little longer. Not like 10 minutes longer, but I can think of many 3-4 minute songs that could be 6-7 minutes and still rock.

Most of alicia keys music is awesome, but it's almost all in the 3-4 minute range. Conversely, most of D'angelo's music is awesome and it's almost all in the 6-7 minute range.

Personally, I think 5-7 minutes is a good length for a song. But, hey, some songs are short for whatever reason, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

I regularly listen to music that is 10-30 minutes long, so maybe my ear is just keyed into that type of stuff a little more.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uh, just hit the repeat button. ;)

I'd like to hear an extended version of Om's "On the Mountain At Dawn"

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    At times I wish "Just a Man" by Faith No More had a C section after the gospel ending. But it's perfect as it is.

"Cinder and Smoke" by Iron and Wine could work with another verse, but I couldn't stand anymore "ooo's".

I probably could listen to a 20 minute version of "Sleepytime" by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

8. People are strange - The Doors

Come on! It's too catchy to be that short. :p

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" needs to be longer. It fades out on Phil Woods' awesome alto sax solo.

10. ^Yeah I forgot to post that one too. One of my favorite Doors songs and it's only like 2 minutes long ***!?

11. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    I don't really care for this band, but I love the song: 'Interstate Love Song' by STP - both riffs tear me up.