songs that use the 5th string

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass__player01, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Hi everyone...
    I received my first bass on christmas and I honestly think its the best thing I ever received...
    It's a 5 string...

but for the moment... I use only the four strings found on a normal four string :(

I'd like to know if some of you would have a few songs where the lower 5th string might be usefull...
    'cose for the moment, i feel its completely useless...

thank you
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Como se va! (my bad French!)

There are lots of songs with the low-B in there.

Let us know what kind of music you are into and maybe we can give you some examples.

3. well... I listen to almost anything
    punk, metal, rock... even some blues or jazz sometime

i'm sorry... i don't think it helps a lot :rolleyes:
  4. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Try some primus , and mudvayne ryknow and les claypool both use a 5 string in some songs..check em out.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    There's at least 12 notes on that 5th string. Try playing stuff in E using the 5th fret. Just because you can hit low Eb's D's C#'s etc doesn't mean you have to all the time.
  6. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Try "The Righteous and the Wicked" by RHCP. It has cool, simple riffs, and good runs to the low B.

7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    When you practise scales and other patterns, make sure you use that low B string. Get familiar with it - learn the notes and get used to using them and you'll find places to use them.

For example, say you're playing a simple riff-based blues in A. Chances are that you'll be using a little box pattern starting on the fifth fret of the E string (eg. A E G a - root, fifth, flat seventh, octave). With a four string, the obvious thing to do when you get to the fifth bar and hit the D chord is to move across a string and play the same pattern starting on the fifth fret of the A string. Instead, try starting on the third fret of the B string - it's the same notes but gives a different shape to the overall bass line.

Plenty of things you can do with a B string...

8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you pick up the "Elixir" Cd by fourPlay, Nathan East plays a number of low C and low Db licks. Really nice deep in the pocket grooves.

9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

ideally, you should be able to play everything on any string...try taking songs you know without the B string and play it a string down or something
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pretty much all of 'em, if you play your patterns five frets up the neck, where the frets are close together and life is a dream.
  11. Anything from the four latest Toto-albums (I haven't heard the latest one though). The instrumental song "Jake To The Bone" from the "Kingdom of Desire" record is a really good example of how you can use a five string bass. Check out the record "Mindfields" too. Great five string useage.
  12. "what songs?" All of them! Every single one, if you so desire...