Songs to Get the crowd pumped up

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Svenman, May 5, 2003.

1. Svenman

May 5, 2003
    What are some cool songs a band can play to get the crowd really pumped, I know any kind of Hendrix usually gets the crowd involved but anything else ? :D

I was thinking Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark ;)
  2. Millionaire by Queens of the Stoneage :). Get me pumped up
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    It really depends on who you are playing to. My band mainly plays at college frat parties, and out of the songs we play here are some of the ones that get people pumped up:

weezer. any weezer
    led zeppelin
    sublime - caress me down
    sweet home alabama (though i can't stand playing it)
    take on me
    bon jovi - livin' on a prayer

From my own gigging experience and watching other cover bands I've noticed that classic rock such as led zeppelin always gets a good reception, no matter what the audience's demographic. A lot of the songs my band plays are from when people my age were in middle school. I think they are popular because they have a bit of nostalgia to them.
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    "Say baby do you want to lay down with me, say baby do you want to lay down by my side, baby do you want to lay down with me, say baby, SAY BABY!!!"

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    It depends on the crowd and type of music you play.

If you are a variety band, lay down some funk like Brick House or Super Freak and ALL the ladies will hit the floor and many of the drunken men.

You listed Hendrix and Maiden in your post, so if you play strictly heavy stuff try out War Pigs. Any AC/DC is a no lose option as well.
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I am in what I guess you could consider to be a nu-metal band. As far as covers go, these get the best response by far (in no particular order):

1. Bawitdaba-Kid Rock
    2. Guerilla Radio-Rage against the machine
    3. Rollin'-Limp Bizkit
    4. Linkin Park-Forgotten (we have two strong vocalists in the band that pull these last two off wonderfully, and work the crowd well with it)

I know most of the people on here hate this kind of stuff, but the qustion was what gets people pumped up.....if done well, these work every time.

NuMetal or not, I'd play any of these before pulling out some damn AC/DC ever again!
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Just what he said - the main determining factor is the crowd and that's going to vary from place to place and even time to time. Playing the crowd is a skill you've got to learn, just like playing the bass.

One thing that can help is to see what works best out of the sets you play and see if you can figure out when it clicked. A recording of your gigs is helpful here... if you did a song and the audience shouted approval as soon as they heard the hook, you know you're onto a winner.

It could also help if you saw other bands playing at the same venues. You might not want to pull out exactly the same songs but you might be able to identify some kind of pattern (for example, is it classic rock that always gets the screams, or do the crowd seem to dig a sudden change of tempo or intensity?).

8. What_About_Andy

May 14, 2003
    tucson z
    haha tommy the cat. jesus man, you got to be a god to play that.;)
  9. Alright now, by Free
    Mony Mony by Tommy James (hey say what, you know the rest)
    Play that funky music White Boy ( I hate this song but the crowd still loves it )
    Can't get enough of your love by Bad Company
    Dirty Deeds by AC-DC
    There's a few more but I'm too ashamed to admit that I still play em. I'll play anything, I'm such a whore.
  10. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    even though im not a big metallica fan (they killed napster) i think their song Fuel is a good "pumping up" song
  11. Play for the ladies. I've said it b4 and I'll say it again "A room is only as good as the women in it"
    i.e. make it a dance song
    ...That said, Led Zepplin can cross alot of demographics.
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    How 'bout Pump It Up by Elvis Costello? :D

(Someone had to make this post, eventually ;) )
  13. I do a rankin' ska version of "Can't Get Enough"
    It soooo works as a ska tune! Takes an old tired hat and puts some sequnce on it!
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Crazy Train

Or eh... The Stomping Grounds...

or eh... Fur Elise

or eh... Blue Monday

or eh... Basketcase

or eh... Luke's Wall/War Pigs

Hell, maybe even Sign of the Southern Cross
  15. montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    We do gary hoey's cover of hocus pocus by focus as a closer sometimes and it usually rocks them right out of their stinkin' socks. And yes, Sabbath works like a champ everytime.
  16. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Being the gig/crowd slut that I am, (I'm right there with ya' GreyBeard!), I see a bunch of great suggestions here, and curiously one glaring ommission... Mustang Sally! Always packs the floor...

Also, whenever I start laying out the bassline to 'Brick House', the place goes wild... sadly none of the bands that I play with do this :(

17. my bands at every single gig plays The boys are back in town, and sweet child o mine, im thinking u need a good guitarist to do sweet child though?:bassist:
  18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The old stuff... Stones, CCR, etc

We've taken them off the repertoire for our own sake, but the audience keeps requesting songs like Mustang Sally, Honky Tonk Woman, Bad Moon Rising, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Unchain My Heart, even (heaven forbid) Johnny B Goode.

Sigh. I can't stand them anymore, but the customer is always right. Never underestimate an audience's need to recognize songs... :)
  19. PRIMUS w00t w00t
  20. Id try Dig by Mudvayne :D Thats a sweet song if you can play the bass well enough to it...or any mudvayne at that fact!