1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs to lit up the audience!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WhoSeyes, Sep 19, 2008.

1. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    OK, so I'm in a band where we play mainly our own songs (we've got enough songs to play for a whole hour, though we don't usually get gigs for more than 30-45 minutes). We play hardrock with some bluesy tunes and an old-school punk attitude (though not as scatological as the Sex Pistols, but nearly).

In addition to our songs we have played some convers in between. Some examples are: TNT (AC/DC), Mama Kin (Aerosmith), God Save the Queen (Sex Pistols) or Blitzkrieg Bob (Ramones). We have also played in every show Knockin on Heaven's Door (Guns n'Roses version) and we've had very good results with it: the audience goes mad, sings with us and will do wathever you ask for after playing that, xD.

My friends are quite happy with that, but I wanna change that cover, for me it's BO-RING, and I don't wanna play it in every show, also because Bob Dyland did it, Guns did it, and even Avril Lavigne covers it!

So I open this thread to see which songs would you suggest for owr band to cover... It has to be a well known tune that fits our style and that involves the public in some way (like Knockin' does, or We will rock you does [though I don't like that either, xD]). If it can be a song that not every band plays, better!

Thanks in advance!

2. mr.bigglesworth

mr.bigglesworth

Jun 17, 2007
    IL
    Stairways to heaven is kinda good for a show lighter.

3. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Mmm... thats a nice option. Could be.

However, maybe I'm looking more for songs that can be sang between the audience and the band, and I don't see Stairway to Heaven as one of those... I want to interact at 100% with the audience, to leave them with a really good impression of our group (and make them be interested in our own songs).

Thanks a lot, anyway!

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    A friend of mine's band does a rousing rendition of "Sweet Caroline", and for some reason it goes over huge. The audiance responds at all the appropriate places, and everybody has a good time.

My band does a fair amount of 80's hair band music, and that always seems to kill as well.

5. Styx' "Light Up."

6. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    "Light Me Up" by Ween. The thread title gave me the idea to write about doing Great White covers, but on the other hand, uh... no. I do sometimes have a very sick sense of humour.