Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

songs w/great bass lines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zito75, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Zito75

Zito75

Dec 21, 2003
    Alright, i realize that this is probably an extremely common thread, so please just bear with me...couldnt find any other threads like this...

I play bass (obviously) and my good friend plays guitar (electric). We play together all the time, so i was wondering what are some good guitar+bass songs? I guess this is a stupid question considering most songs consist of bass and guitar, but since we dont have a drummer or 2nd guitarist, i thought this would be the best way to put the question.

or just what are some great bass songs? I havent explored too much outside what I already listen too (RHCP, blink 182, green day, AAF), and thats because i dont know what to look for! Thanks for the help guys! :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This actually isnt that common of a thread for the reason that there are so many songs with great basslines. First off, whats you guys' skill level?

3. Zito75

Zito75

Dec 21, 2003
    meh, im not great, but hes pretty damn good...i can play a lot of RHCP and Blink 182 if that means anything...

4. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    nothing at all

;)

5. Me and the our "funner" guitarist in jazz band like messin around with some Rammstein. Really simple stuff to play but tons of fun.

'Cuda

6. Ramones, very simple, fast and furious, and helluva fun!

---

Anti-Flag. Basslines are still repeated but Chris has some really great lines!
    Justin and Chris #2 have some cool guitar parts, Justin does most of the soloing, tho...

---

Bouncing Souls! Quite easier, but they do have some really fun tracks!!

---

Last but not least, Rancid. Some of Matt's lies you may find to be too much... But there is some pretty easy and fun stuff in there! :)

Sorry they are mostly the same genre...

7. Zito75

Zito75

Dec 21, 2003
    yea, hoppus is great and all...but ive gotten sick of repeating the same lines over and over...

thanks for the suggestions guys! :bassist: more are welcome :D

EDIT: alternative is what i prefer (someone said sorry for the same genre)...but it doesnt really matter, im open for everthing :cool:

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

shhhhhh, don't say that too loud 'round these parts.

Uhm, great basslines are such a general term, if you ask me theres no such thing as a great bassline... or Santa Claus. :ninja: :smug:

9. Zito75

Zito75

Dec 21, 2003
    ah jeez, dont be too picky guys...i dont mean a song where bass totally owns the song, but any alt. rock song that has some pretty cool bass parts :D

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out basically every Rage against the Machine song. The basslines are awesome and not hard.

11. Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
    Detroit Rock City - KISS
    Play that Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    Rumble - Link Wray
    Rockin at Midnight - various artists
    Born under a Bad Sign - various artists
    Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top
    Green River - CCR
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

etc. etc. etc. x 100000

Totally depends on your skill and what you like to play.

Easiest way to groove is to play the blues. By "easiest" I just mean it's easy to improv on a standard three chord 12 bar blues song. Those tunes have good walking bassline parts.