Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

songs w/out lyrics

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dmbbassdude, Feb 23, 2003.

1. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    Me and some friends of mine are playing at a talent show at my school this weekend, but we dont have a "lead singer." Our guitarist sings if he has to, but he doesnt sound all that good. I was wondering if any of you know of any good songs without lyrics, instrumental type things. Anything would do, as long as the crowd would enjoy it, and it is not to simple. Thanks.

2. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    overture 1928 by dream theater:D
    (you hafta be pretty damn good as a band though)

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Green Onions

Oh wait, you said not too simple. That one's definitely out then.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Friends -- Joe Satriani

Really cool song, great vibe

5. ya might get better responses in the recordings forum. i dunno any that you'd be able to do by this weekend, unless you guys learn REAL fast. how 'bout Orion by metallica?:D

6. FLOYDtheBARBER, you totally beat me to it.

hey dmbbassdude, If you wanna play any good stuff, I'll be the singer :) I'm just not singing ANY wuss rock or pop or alternative, whatevr the heck that crap is called.

"Chris is headbanging to 'Orion' as we speak"

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    YYZ - Rush
    Losfer Words - Iron Maiden
    Genghis Khan - Iron Maiden
    Ides of March - Iron Maiden
    Merciless Onslaught - Metal Church

FWIW we do Ides of March at all our shows, and the crowd always seems to enjoy it.

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Check out "Ytse Jam" or "Erotomania" by Dream Theater, I picked up these quite quickly, except the bass solo in "Ytse Jam". Erotomania will be damn hard for the guitarist. For something easier, check out "Hell's Kitchen" also by Dream Theater, if you have a 5 stringer.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Transylvania - Iron Maiden;
    Call of Kthulu - Metallica

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a cool instrumental in my sig, but that might be too easy.

:D

btw, this needs to be in recordings, so away we go! :)

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Vulcan Princess" or "School Days" by Stanley Clarke

12. fu manchu-the wastoid:D

13. Chitlins Con Carne - stevie ray vaughan

14. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Not too simple you say?

Then Liquid Tension Experiment is the way to go.

15. What kind of group do you have? I would play "Funky Miracle" by The Meters.

16. 1. Tequila (I second that one.. the Tony Levin Band version simply rocks)
    2. Wipeout
    3. The Theme from Peter Gunn
    4. Rawhide
    5. Hawaii Five-O theme

If you guys can handle Satriani, go 4 it!:bassist:

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Without knowing what type of music your band prefers, it is hard to suggest songs, but one of my favorite instrumentals is Stevie Ray Vauhan's "Riviera Paradise." It's on the album "In Step."

Another favorite is "SleepWalk" an old fifties instrumental by Santo and Johnnie. Larry Carlton did a cool cover of it several years ago. "Sleepwalk" can be found on many 1950's or early 60's hits complilation albums.

Would you and your drummer feel up to Metallica's "Anesthesia-Pulling Teeth"? Without stopping, immediately follow it with "Whiplash". "Whiplash" requires minimal singing. You don't need to sing particularly well, just fast.

Joe McBride and The Texas Rhythm Club have a cool instrumental version of "Woke Up This Morning" (the Theme from The Sopranos.) The bass is very prominent; it just drives this song. Both the instrumental and vocals version of this song appear on the CD "Keepin' It Real." If your band has a sax player or a harmonica player and a keyboardist, this song should be a hit.

It would be easier to suggest songs if we knew the instryuments in your band and the style of music you prefer to play.

18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm still looking through my CDs for ideas. Is your guitarist REALLY GOOD? Check out "Vista Grande" by Steve Morse on the CD "Southern Steel".

Faith No More plays a really cheesey instrumental version of "Midnight Cowboy" on their CD "Angel Dust". Also, if I am not mistaken, their version of "War Pigs" on an earlier CD is also instrumental.

Come back and tell us what type of music you will be allowed to play, what type you want to play and what type you are able to play.

Eric Johnson has some good instrumentals. Check out his first album. I can't find my copy right now. or I could give you some names of songs.

19. Ah Viva Musicum comes to mind as an album. The Cliffs of Dover is an awesome tune.