1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Songs which influenced your technique.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MacheteSteve, Apr 13, 2009.

1. what songs really helped you construct and define your technique?

and what song heped you develop those chops which you whip out when you want to impress?

just want to improve my technique by learning some challenging songs.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What is hip,,,will work wonders for your right hand and learning to relax and breath for 5 minutes

3. Jawsh!

Jawsh!

Aug 21, 2008
    Central California
    Hysteria by Muse :D

and a ton of other songs by bands like switchfoot, coldplay, The Beatles, Anberlin, and Lostprophets.

i'm really into effects... some as intense like the Big Muff Pi or the Akai Deep Impact, to those which have a warmer less harsh tone.

I'm actually looking at borrowing my friends TS808 and Fuzz Factory to mess around with a bit.

4. I wouldnt say that I have my own style yet, I would list a couple that have helped me learn new styles and somethign that I would play for people:
    Feelin alright- GFR(or anything by GFR for that matter)
    Highway star-DP(most other songs by em too)
    Anything by the beatles
    cant name anymore for now XD. But there are more, these are just songs I play a lot these days :)

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    +1 Rocco's style and groove are awesome.

For me, the tune which got me wanting to get my bridge pickup, fingerfunk chops together was "The Chicken". :)

6. Almost every track on Me'shell's first two albums (Plantation Lullabies and Peace Beyond Passion) influenced my playing - so much style and class. There is plenty of space, tasty fills and the right notes. Great finger style, great slap.

My other heavy influence is Bernard Edwards. The bass lick in the instrumental break in Le Freak taught me that it's better (and more impressive) to play something simple that grooves hard and makes people dance than to play a million notes, loose the audience but potentially impress a couple of musicians.

7. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Tower of Power - Only so much oil in the ground (16th pattern with a lot of moving, made me practice a lot)
    Marcus Miller - It's me again (all the fretless tricks I know, and has made me practice dynamics)
    Symphony X - The edge of forever (the exact amount of doing a lot, but not overdoing. A reference for just about everything)
    Ark - Absolute Zero (whenever I try to add confusing stuff, it comes out like that)

8. I'm not sure I've ever learned a technique from a song, I usually practice technique and songs seperate.

Although my bands music has helped my technique. Whenever I'm writing my bass lines I usually use it as a way to push myself, I'll through something in there that I can't do, the time deadline of next practice helps pressure me to get it down. It helped me with sweeping, tapping, and now it's helping me with using four fingers on my right hand.

9. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    what songs really helped you construct and define your technique?
    None really.

and what song helped you develop those chops which you whip out when you want to impress?
    Continuum - Jaco Pastorius - Album Jaco Pastorius (dude, buy it now)
    http://www.lala.com/song/504684646362432108

Fuga y Misterio - Composed by Astor Piazolla, performed by La Tenaza
    http://www.lala.com/song/1657606151102874738

And the first "difficult" song I learned was Tom Sawyer, by Rush.

just want to improve my technique by learning some challenging songs.
    More Astor Piazolla

10. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    guns n roses

11. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Jethro Tull's "Bouree" did it for me. I practiced it for a looong time, starting slow then building up the speed by degrees, 'till I nailed Glen Cornick's solo. :bassist:

12. Good list of stuff Backline

13. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    I tried to make it as varied as I could without posting my whole library. It's still pretty common.

I'd love it if at least some people posted more songs. Please!:bassist:

14. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Anything by Stanley Clarke and Necrophagist.

15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Anything by james Jamerson.

Nuff said.

16. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    • John Entwistle, anything and everything on Who's Next
    • Everything on the 5 Police albums
    • The Chicken and Birdland (Jaco)
    • Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer: Rush/Geddy Lee (I grew up in Toronto)
    • More recently: Jimmy Haslip/Yellowjackets, specifically Revelation, Jacketown, Sea Folk, and My Old School (25 [Live album]), and Evening News & Motet (Mint Jam)

17. hump de bump by the red hot chili peppers.

had a hard time getting down the fingering. loved that sound.

18. ben_the_bass

ben_the_bass

Jul 12, 2005
    Rocklin
    First one I thought of was "The Lemon Song" by Led Zeppelin.

19. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Dream Theater's Scarred did wonders, both for tapping and for the slightly more complex chorus line.

20. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Mark King / Level 42 - "Love Games"