Songs with complex bassline + simple drumline

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Avenged7fo, Feb 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Avenged7fo

Avenged7fo

Feb 24, 2018
    So it's said that a good dynamic between a bass player and a drummer is that when one is playing something complex, the other should play something ïn the pocket" so that the song wouldn't be all over the place (alto there are some exceptions to this wherein the bassist and the drummer both play something complex).

Anyways, can anyone give any examples of songs wherein the bassline is something fancy that sits on top of a simple drumpart? Thank you very much! :)

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Hysteria by Muse

(Technically the bassline is also a synth line, but still...)

3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Was just discussing this in another thread here:

Check out Steely Dan's "Glamour Profession". Anthony Jackson's bassline is almost over-the-top "fancy" ...and the drummer is a robot. (Probably quite literally; this was right about the time Roger Nichols was using the WENDEL drum computer.) But man what a stone-cold groove!

JimK likes this.
  4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    A lot of Motown, "Teen Town" by Weather Report "Billie Jean".

C/S,
    Rev J

5. Lots of '70s disco. The style requires the drums to keep it simple. The Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive" is a good example. The Stones' "Miss You" isn't pure disco, but it's close: Charlie is pretty restrained, while Bill is all over the place.

6. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I think a lot of Vulfpeck would qualify, but maybe there's more to the drumming than my uneducated ears can hear.

7. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Peg is one that comes to mind:

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Something interesting I noticed Listen to the drums on that now listen to the drums on this:

and this:

I always thought it would be interesting to play these 3 songs running into each other Greatful Dead style.

C/S,
    Rev J