Songs with good bass lines

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnmallory34, Jun 13, 2003.

1. johnmallory34

Jun 13, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    hey everyone, what are some songs with some good bass lines that are extremely hard. I am an intermediate bass player, and my style of music is similar to RATM or Sublime. I know those bands arent that similar, but those are two of the best bands in terms of good bass lines, and i can play a lot of their songs. Ok, so do you know any good songs?
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hey there,

I like Tim a lot too but most of his bass lines are fairly easy, but still very cool. I am relitively new to bass as well I am a converted drummer. I found that a lot of the modern rock is somewhat simple to play. Try to get into the older stuff, it seems to me most of the bass lines in the 70's are more complicated. I like a lot of the older stuff so I started off with Sabbath, Zepplin, Beatles, Kiss, etc. There are a lot of great tab sites where you can find a lot of this stuff but you may have sift through a lot of junk before you find a good tab. I look at it as good foundation music, once I learned a lot of that stuff it made it very easy to play a lot of the modern rock my when our band does covers. I don't know you music taste but for the most part the older stuff is harder to play overall, don't get me wrong there are a ton of very talented bassists out there putting out music, but if you start getting into some Geezer Butler, or Gene Simmons it will definately get your fingers moving...hope this helps
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    anyway,i to am a converted drummer and found that the older rock has better bass-lines(i'm not taking anything away from new rock)IMO. Zep is on the more difficult end of the scale while i found that Sabbath is more in the middle,which for me gets me more experienced.i just take some of my more favorite songs and learn those,while bass-lines mite seem cool to others,they may not do anything for you.i like,they have mucho tabs(bass included,dont let the name fool ya)GOOD LUCK
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    This should be in recordigs.
  5. Listen to Motown songs with James Jamerson on bass.
  6. Flea can get some pretty interesting bass lines going.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree, you couldn't find better bass lines to check out.