Songs with great basslines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ToolChick, May 26, 2001.

1. ToolChick

ToolChick Guest

May 26, 2001
    Sacramento, California
    Simply because I have far too much time on my hands at the moment, I'm thinking of creating a CD with some misc. tracks that have great bass in them. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. The bass part about 4 min in to "Orion" by Metallica is pretty damn nice, and I like "Alien" by Bush, its simple, but damn cool.
  3. 'Another Brick In The Wall pt2' and 'Money', both by Pink Floyd have great basslines. 'Riders On The Storm' by the Doors has a groovy bassline, 'Song 2' by Blur is good, as is anything from the Chili Peppers, especially 'Soul To Squeeze' and 'Around The World', theres lots of songs by The Who, try 'My Generation' or 'The Seeker', 'All Along the Watchtower' by Hendrix, I really like the bassline on 'Stan' by Eminem... theres too many to mention!
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Old school but cool: A Taste of Honey's, Boogie Oogie Oogie will keep booties shakin' all night long.
  5. rocktheganj

Apr 17, 2001
    I think that "Battlestar Scratatchtica" by Incubus has a cool bass line, and "7 Words" from the Deftones is good too, but one of my favorite bass lines to play is "46 & 2" by Tool.
  6. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    That song is soooo groooovey.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    GWAR's "Sick of You" from Scumdogs of the Universe. Simple, yet cool. Also, check out "Have You Seen Me?" off of their America Must Be Destroyed release.
  8. ToolChick

ToolChick Guest

May 26, 2001
    Sacramento, California
    Wow, I haven't heard some of those, I'll definitely check them out...some of my personal favorites are Cake's "Going the Distance", Black Sabbath's "Master of Insanity", and a couple of songs by Peach, the band that the bassist of Tool used to be in. They're not together anymore, and nobody seems to have heard of them, but they have some great basslines and solos on their Giving Birth to a Stone CD.
  9. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Rapper's FRICKEN Delight!!!!
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Beatles, Come Together
    Michael Jackson, Billie Jean
    Jamiroquai, Return of the Space Cowboy
    John Mellencamp/Me'Shell Ndege'Ocello, Wild Night
    O'Jays, For the Love of Money
    Police, Oh my God
    RHCP, Higher Ground
    Sade, Smooth Operator/Cherish
  11. Money by Pink Floyd (someone said it but it's still awesome enough for 2 votes!).

Shake Hands with Beef by Primus, just can't shake it (pun intented).
  12. the goose

the goose

May 26, 2001
    one of the best basslines of all time is curtis mayfield's "freddy's dead". Absolutely filthy!
  13. sultans of swing - dire straits
  14. "Hamburger Train" by Primus, on Pork Soda=PHAT.
  15. Dancing in the Moonlight Thin Lizzy
    Billion Dollar Babies Alice Cooper
    and another vote for Gwar
    The Road Behind or Surf of Sin
  16. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Bet that'd sound cool on a URB ;)

[​IMG] No T.O.P. / Rocco III, Michael Manring, or Geddy Lee? [​IMG]
  17. if you haven't checked out the clash, rancid or fugazi, then i hope you have a lot of space on that cd... ;)
  18. severed by mudvayne has a phat bass line. but all the songs on the album do, except dig.
  19. Schism by Tool has a nice bassline, as does Breaking The Girl by RHCP, but most Chili Peppers songs do have sweet bass.
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Most anything by Tool has pretty cool basslines (in my opinion).

Same goes for the Chili Peppers.

And a lot of Primus.

And Rancid.

And how about the Violent Femmes???? Brian Ritchie has some pretty cool stuff, too.

I could go on for hours, but I think you will get plenty of suggestions with this thread.