Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs with lyrics: Music or words first?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bushfire, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Words

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Music

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. Simple enough right? Doesn't matter about type, just curious is all.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think words come first. either way it seems hard. i've never done either from scratch so, meh. it just seems that the words should come from within, then you write them down or record them or whatnot. and if a melody/tune didn't come out with it in the first place maybe come up with that, then music to accompany it. i think for experienced players it should be easy enough to come up with chords and notes to match the pitches you sing. the fancy stuff (like fills and riffs) comes last. i dunno, i'm just guessing all this :) .

3. I kinda do both, but I chose words (yeah, I voted on my own poll) At any one time I'll have about 5 songs (subjects) I want written. When I find a chord progression, I'll ask myself "what song is it trying to sing" then if it matches a song (subject) in my head I'll write a few lines without the chords, see if they fit, rinse and repeat.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    "The music should always come first, y'know if, uh, if the words were so important, y'know, and the music wasn't, then people would be doing sold-out spoken-word tours, y'know, and music would be secondary, but their not. People are going because the music is what carries all the emotion. The words just kinda, define a little bit where the emotion is going. And in some cases when you get a record deal with subject matter like we deal with people go straight to the lyrics and ignore the music."
    -Maynard James Keenan, a modern philosopher.

5. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    MELODY which is can be music/words.... ;)

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

After learning music, I don't even pay attention to the lyrics anymore. I just appreciate the music.

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you mean writing, for me and the rest of the guys in the band, the music comes first. Then, the singer gets his inspiration from wherever, then fits the phoenetics and makes a rhythm that fits the song.

8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I can't listen to music that has crappy lyrics. Just can't do it.

9. I ALMOST always have most of the music first. . . then I'll hit a rut usually, get the lyrics out, and finish it adding the solos and fills and whatnot. Once in a while I'll write out all the lyrics at once and have a vocal melody, and write the backing music then, and more often than that i'll have a song written and then squeak out the lyrics. . . but i picked music.

10. I can if I can't understand them :smug: but no, crappy meaning they don't fit the melody? that's true. except maybe some RUSH. and a titch of Fates Warning, but they always make it fit.

11. There should be another choice - depends.

Sometimes, when I write, the music comes first and other times its the lyrics.

12. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Nah, I mean more of like what the lyrics are saying, not as a musical function.

13. Usually, I don't plan it out like that. If I happen to get some good lyrics in my head (which has never happened), I'd write them down and add music later. If a tastey bass lick pops into my head, I just work on that.

14. I agree with Vox. I'm a lyrics whore (can I say that?) and the importance of music/words emotionally is 50/50 for me, but lyrics have to be meaningful.

I'd rather a crappy musical backing and heartfelt meaningful lyrics than great music and any old lyrics strung together.

But then again that's why I started an acoustic duo, kinda an outlet for my songs (which sometimes seem like poetry more than songs, but I can always get music to fit with them)

15. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You must not be a big Yes fan, I guess...:D