Songs with multiple basses

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 4, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My music teacher recently asked the 3 bass players in our class to make a song that uses 3 basses. We sat down for about half an hour, and came up with a few good riffs, but nothing that can have thingd added to it.

So what im asking, is how do you go about making songs that can have other bass lines added to it.

It needs to have slap, fingering, harmonics, and chords (both power chords and the other type [can someone give me an idea on what other chords are possible on bass please!!])

Make any sence yet? :D
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't know if this helps, but I'm working on one now in which I play a line on the G and use the D as a drone, and at the same time I'm having the singer play the bottom D in dropped D tuning. So far he's just playing the roots, but I think I've got a sort of a counter-melody for him to try. Or I've thought about using a phrase sampler to cover my line on the D and G, then playing a lead over it on the fretless.
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Oh , if it helps, i will be using my 5 string, and we have access to a Vamp, a multi effects unit. Thanks!
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't forget that you can put together some cool chords and all across multiple instruments - don't make each bassist make the chord, let each guy do a double stop and let them overlap, building a larger chord.
  5. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Fo\r an good example of a song with 3 bass lines listen to Fishbone's cover of Shakey Ground. A song originally by the temptations. This song features Norwood Fisher, Flea, and Bily 'Bass' Nelson playing together so tightly it sounds like one AMAZING bass player, when its really 3 Incredible bassists. As for chords, 10ths are fun and easy. Just play the root on the Eor B string, and then play the 10th which is one fret up and 4 strings higher. For example if you are playing A on the e string the 10th would be C# on the g string. Play this as a double stop. The secret with bass chords is to not place the notes too claose togetehr so you can hear each not e individually, when done properly it is a gorgeos tone. I hope others agree with me, but its just my 2 cents.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    A lot of solo bass artists have songs with multiple bass overdubs (Wooten, Manring) that you can listen to, and pd_5string has a sound clip of his new Zon over in the basses forum with three bass parts dubbed over each other.