Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

songs you didn't realize had great basslines till you learned them

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    just learned "something" from the beatles yesterday. damn! not sure why i never realized what a great bassline that song has. so full of heart and improvisation. he slides, bends, does all kinds of neat stuff that i guess fits so well with the song that it never before jumped out at me.

this has happened to me more than once - i don't really appreciate how great a song is till i learn it. has this happened to you? what songs?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's happened on too many tracks to mention - whole genres of music (like contemporary R&B) have opened up to me since I started learning some of the tracks and appreciating the musicianship that has gone into them.

Wulf

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I actually learned alot from learning the bassline to "When Doves Cry". There isn't any bass line! That made me realize that sometimes NOT playing is the best thing to do.

I was pretty suprised when I started playing around with U2 albums as well. Amazingly simple, and amazingly perfect lines.

On the other end of the spectrum, trying to learn any King Crimson bass lines are an excersize in extreme frustration. They are incredibly hard to figure out sometimes. Whew! Trying to play an 8 note line in 7/8 can be pretty tough.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One word for me-
    Motown.

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye...sounds easy until it's attempted.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    !!!!!!!!

I was just about to post that!

like no kidding, I came to recordings to post just that

:)

and I agree, try playing it with one finger!

I'm sure you've heard the gladys knight and the pips version, that's a burly bassline too.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Almost every STP song. Not a huge fan, but DeLeo holds it down pretty soild.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thirded. Many prefer the Gladys Knight version of "Grapevine" for Jamerson's flashy bass riffs, but his subtlety in the Marvin Gaye version is even more brilliant IMHO.

8. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Duran Duran's "Rio". I only heard/learned it a couple days ago but I didn't think it was so hard until I tried learning it.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Fourth on Grapevine! That's one I've come back to a number of times, still without ever coming truly close to mastering all of the subtleties.

Excellent thread, Joe! I have found that my enjoyment of playing a part often has little to do with how much I like the song from a listener's perspective. That same notion has allowed me to play music that I wouldn't necessarily want to listen to. I don't think I've been in a band that played music I'd really want to listen to since about '96 or so!

10. you're telling me...I've been working on it with my teacher,and I just butcher it.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think "Creep" is a good example of DeLeo's playing. The entire song pretty much rides on the bassline.

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I had to learn Copa Cabana for a cover band. I hate that song but was surprised how fun it was when I was inside the bass line.

13. Childhood's End by Marillion (pete Trewavas) beautifull melodic line

14. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i cant think of any at the moment but i just like lines that make my hands and mind work hard. ive also got something with the ones that sound like their going to be easy then end up being hard

15. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf
    Unconscious Power - Iron Butterfly
    Behind The Wall of Sleep - Black Sabbath

3 of about 300 interesting lines.

Teen Town - Weather Report lets you know how good or bad your chops are.

16. I sometimes do some Karaoke mc'ing, and having heard the Fugees' "killing me softly" about 1000 times, I can tell you that it has a kickass bass part.

I 10th the thing about motown, too.

L

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    "Just The Two Of Us", Grover Washington Jr. and Bill Withers.

Starts off with a smooth upper register finger groove then seques into some spirited thumping and popping, including a little chromatic octave stuff, then back to the finger groove.

Fairly easy to play, but it just sounds and feels so good.

Peace,

James

18. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    oh man Jamerson is out of this world.. any more songs he's done you guys recommend listening to?? I'M SOOO HOOOKED

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Many Paul McCartney lines can do that. Take a few minutes and learn "All My Lovin'" some time. Lots of Graham Maby basslines are the same way. The project I'm currently working on feverishly involves playing every song from Joe Jackson's two "Night And Day" albums, and is extremely fun.

20. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Stone Temple Pilots - Plush

I never knew how much was going on in that song until I started to learn it.