Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

songs you liked before you took up bass, but now find unlistenable?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Dec 23, 2002.

1. I recently WinMX'ed Saint Etienne's "only love can break your heart" (a cover of the Neil Young song).
    I liked it when it first came out around 1990, and thought the bassline drove the song allong.
    but now listening to it again, the way the bass pulls and pushes at the beat is really unsettling- I can't work out if it's just wobbly timing, and the line has been looped.
    also the tone (a Rick?) sounds innappropriate- the tone should really have been rolled off.

anyone have similar experiences going back to tracks from your pre-bassplaying days?

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I liked slayer before i picked up bass...
    hmm ive always liked the stuff i do now.. i was a crazykid who listened to metal for the longest time but i went back to what i was raised on. .which was punk music.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Much eighties music. Once I started playing bass, music such as Culture Club and Billy Idol began to annoy me. Bon Jovi also and most of the glam metal bands. Yuck! I actually liked that stuff?

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    I still like playing "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?"

;)

5. hmmmm...I'd say the bass on those three artists' recordings is pretty professionally played- no timing or tonal sloppiness (eg. Marcus Miller, Sal Cuevas on a couple of Billy Idol's songs).
    but I did start to find Hugh McDonald's basslines on Bon Jovi records clichéd (the same old fills and note choices recurring) about 2yrs or so after taking up bass.

6. I loved punk stuff, but now I find it bland, repetitive, and boring.

7. i liked blink 182, then i learned about the other than 5 notes on the bass.
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's usually the opposite reaction with me. I listen to some of the songs from my past and develop a new appreciation for the playing.

Sting's tone on some of the early Police recordings is really crap, but the playing itself isn't too bad.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought the basslines in the Culture Club stuff were great. How can a person not like the basslines in "I'll Tumble For Ya", "It's a Miracle" and "Miss Me Blind" ?

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Anything by Nirvana, pretty much. I wish I would have known I was going to outgrow that phase before I bought all those damn imports.

11. really? i love krist novoselic's bass playing!
    did you stop liking them because you matured in general, or because you became a bassist? i'm just wondering, because i love nirvana's bass parts.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I suppose it's just a matter of my musical tastes changing over the past couple of years due to the music I am playing myself. I could tell you all the things I DON'T like about Nirvana, but that would get us no where.

I was taught that a big part of advancing as a musician is surrounding yourself with music that will inspire you to get better through its own quality. Frankly, Nirvana doesn't do that anymore. I'll occasionally go back and listen to a few tracks here and there, but nowadays Kurt Cobain just gets on my nerves. Novaselic did have some cool bass lines, especially Lounge Act, but I guess I want more than that from my music.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i can't listen to a lot of older zeppelin anymore. too sloppy, and between the guitars' intonation problems and plant's frequent flatness, it makes my skin crawl.

i used to really love zeppelin,too.

14. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Same with me. I can't imagine how I could have been listening so obliviously! Shameful.

I do hear stuff I can't stand anymore as well. Most punk, for example. It sounds so harsh and there's no space and no groove. Awful!! I listened to so much punk for so many years, it makes me kinda sad that I don't enjoy a lot of it now.

On the other hand, I've discovered so much more that I love, that it is worth it. :)

15. conversely, there's a whole lot of stuff I've bought that I'd never have if I hadn't taken up bass- eg. Jaco, Stanley Clarke, Dave Lee Roth, RHCP, Yes, Iron Maiden etc.

some stuff I've bought or downloaded just for the bass tone....

16. Funny, that never really bothered me. In any case, the way Page wailed on his axe, I think intonation problems are excusable. Maybe my ears just aren't particularly discerning.

17. I agree with some of Zeppelin, but by no means all. Babe I'm Gonna Leave just bores me when I listen to it now.

Gotta say though, BBC sessions has given me new respect for Jones as a bassist. The things he does to I Can't Quit You Baby just rip the studio cut apart. Better tone, too.

Anyway, the most forehead-slap-inducing stuff for me is probably the Smashing Pumpkins. Those lyrics... wuurgh. The only good thing I enjoy about that band now is the production and Corgan's guitar playing.

It's all stepping stones to something higher, I guess. :)

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    We've been meaning to talk to you.......;)

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I feel redeemed.

Actually, even on the Zep stuff I always liked, Page has always been one of the best producer/arrangers, yet sloppiest players in Rock.

20. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, many times I've had the opposite happen.

Songs I really didn't care for started to appeal to me after I had to learn them for some band I gigged with.