Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songwriters forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by DanNowhere, May 25, 2002.

1. I don't know if this was already suggested by anyone. I tried a search, it didn't really bring anything up.

Anyway, I know besides being bassists, some of us are songwriters as well. I think a forum to kick around and exchange musical and lyrical ideas might be kinda cool. I'm not sure if posts like that might already belong in the 'Misc' forum, but it's just a thought I had. I'm not much of a songwriter, and sometimes I need all the help I can get, and maybe others could too.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i like that idea...i write songs also and would like ideas/support from others...good idea Dan

bp13

3. definitely! i was thinking about this too- there are a lot of writers out here- whether its music or just poetry- it'd be awesome to have a place where you could get constructive critiscism, tips, and maybe a bit of inspiration!

~laurz

4. That would be great.

5. Got my vote ;)

:D:D

Merls

6. I like the idea, too.

7. Me too.

8. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Great idea! (Plus, I could use the help.)

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    There's currently a discussion going on regarding a new theory forum... I'm wondering if maybe grouping the two together into a "Music Theory and Songwriting" forum would be good? Thoughts?

10. I was about to suggest this not too long ago. It's a favorite of mine to tool around on TabIt (Don't punch me in the face, I know I need to get away from tabs, but its easier for right now than Finale.) and post songs. The TabIT forums have a place for this, but it's a bit, how do you say, FiElDy!!!-ish. :)

This idea has my thumbs up.

11. Sounds kosher to me.

12. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds good to me!

Since there isn't a forum for theory discussions, this should unclutter some of the other forums. Although the combination, IMO, is not an exact fit, it probably will work well nevertheless.

13. A songwriting forum would be my first pick for a new forum. I'd like it mixed with the theory as they can go hand in hand.

14. Maybe change the General Instruction forum to include songwritting, theory, and other newbie instructions? You'd probably need a catchier title than "Songwritting, Theory, and other Newbie Instructions" though...

15. I don't think retitling general instruction would work...

16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Sounds good, but Theory and songwriting dont have much in common, so if you go in there for, say information on scales, you could get flodded with threads with people wanting you to critique their latest song. Thats just me though :D

17. Yeah i am not sure about merging the two, although it seems practical. the members here respect each other. I think it might work.

:D:D

Merls

18. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    But we do have the odd conflict.

Paul, What will talkbass loose (eg web hosting space) if we make them 2 seperate forums?

19. I think two seperate forums would be better. If not, songwriting and theory in one would be great!