1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Songwriting

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 1, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    After years of trying to figure why sometimes I can do it and why sometimes I can't I made some major realizations. I found what works for and what doesn't. I thought I'd start this thread so Ya'll can write about what works for you and what doesn't. My experience:

I've written lots of songs in my life, some I love, some I'm okay with, some I hate, some just plain suck and will never see the light of day. After skimming thrugh a book on songwriting not that long ago I started to look at the way I write and it dawned on me. I've never in my life come up with lyrics and then written a song to fit it that I liked. I've come up with lots of lyrics I thought were great, but when I put it together with music - garbage. Not saying it can't be done, just that I can't do it well. I've also never come up with an idea and written around it, as in - I want to write a song about chinese-mexican food (a NY thing that I'm not sure has hit the rest of the world yet). Can't do it. Every song I ever wrote that was worth a damn evolved out of music I played on the bass or strummed on the guitar. I noodle until something eventually comes to me. Once I have 2 parts together I can usually start scat singing a vocal melody. Mindless scat singing always turns into words that my subconscious mind seems to want to put out there - and once that starts happening the rest just kinda flows. I usually have a couple of lines, a complete melody, and then either the words just come to me or I spend time toiling with them. Bridges always seem forced but I work at it.

This has been the only way I've ever written that produces stuff that makes me happy and I feel it's a landmark in my writing cuz now I can stop wasting time trying to do it other ways and getting frustrated like I have been. Yay! :)

What's your story?

2. I don't write lyrics, although I want to begin eventually, but I do write insturmental music. I think a lot of the trouble is that I try to overcomplicate. I'll have many good ideas, but they may not mesh with each other. I'll get so focused on one aspect that I don't just do something simple and move on. Sometimes I come from the other direction. I'll have something great in my head, but I get sidetracked when I try to write it down. Occasionally, I'll just relax and let it flow, and that's pretty great.

3. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I don't write lyrics. I either use poetry I've read recently or randomly found stupidity that catches my attention.

I write music attempting to make some completely useless idea work just so I can prove I can do it. It took me years to make "real" songs mixing extremely dissonant chords and conventional minor triads. As soon as I figured out how to do it I moved on to the next thing, which seems to be ripping off the opening riff of Bolt Thrower's "Destructive Infinity" to make a doom metal song. I've been at it for almost a year now, written perhaps 20 songs, released a CD-R album and am still trying.

As I've written elsewhere, I'm no artist. I treat all this more like an engineering experiment. "Will this bridge fall over?" I keep going till I make a bridge that doesn't, then stop and start building towers. Or something like that.

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I write alot, never actually intending the words to turn into songs, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. When I turn Lyrics into songs, I start by singing the melody, then I pick chords for the melody to go over, and add everything around that, when I write music, I just keep going writing al kinds of parts the might work, and piece it all together, then I either write lyrics from scratch or find something I've written That I like and fit it over the song.

5. DarkRPG

DarkRPG

Feb 1, 2005
    I find words just come to me at odd times. I'm a neophyte in the lyric writing world. But my friend who's starting a band with me as bass doesn't have the ability with words as I do(he's better with the music).

It does kinda come out a poetry. I find listening to music tends to bring out the lyrics the best. It's odd, but it will flow out. Also being at work and boredom of it helps too.