Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songwriting

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Hi.

We are currently writing for our next album, and although I love the writing stage, I am always reminded of the brilliance of some of my favourite writers and that I will need to go a long way to come close.

So, given the chance, who would you love to be able to write like?

My choices?

Neil Finn
    Ben Folds
    Joe Jackson

I may not like everything they have ever recorded, but there is no denying they are amazing songwriters.

Your choices?

2. mmg

mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Neil Young

3. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    all three choices are identicle. they all write songs that just suck you in and force you to listen. imho they have great hooks and really don't follow any formula. messengers for sure. neil young as well. they are all very experienced song writers. imho they have all written their fair share of klunkers that won't see the light of day and learned along the way. i write songs the way i have decorated my house: every room is painted the same color white. all the vibrant color comes from my collection of art and furniture. the walls are a solid foundation upon which the bells and whistles may hang. thus trying to minimize the klunkers. ymmv. peace, jeff

4. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    It is a pretty obvious answer, but Bob Dylan.

I cannot get enough of him...especially his later stuff. Don't get me wrong - his early (important) stuff is superb, but I really love his world-weary voice these days...he sounds dead, and this seems to bring some gravity to his songs.

I realise that my previous point is more about his singing...but the man is a master story-teller. I love the song 'Shooting Star' from Oh Mercy. The simplest of songs, but so subtle...and brilliant. His songs seem to have a melancholy to them.