1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

songwriting

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    how do you do it? my stuff, i sit in my bedroom, take that riff or two to practise, have my drummer make up a line, then me and him write keys and guitar parts

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I don't really have a system, I just seem to randomly make things up that end up sounding good in my head.

I usually just write lyrics, with a theoretical tune in my head. Then, I go home and make up a bass line and maybe a guitar part (for some reason, inspiration always strikes while I'm half-asleep first period :p ).

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i don't really have a system either. but i found that it is usually one of these ways

1.) i'll be sitting and start drumming or humming and i get an idea i like in my head and keep it playing in my head until i get to a bass and can put it on it. but it usually nevers sounds like what i heard, but i like it better.

2.) when i'm playing around on the bass i might by chance play something cool, but the hard part is remembering it

3.) this is the rare one, i'll get a weird sound in my head and then play around on the bass till i get that weird stuff, some of the things i've done are pretty out there.

but this is just me, i really like to work to chords, but a cool bass riff is always fun :D

-jimbo

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't do it much nowadays, but when I was systematically writing songs I would always start by programming a drum part and then build up everything from there.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    don't know how I missed this before. Off to Misc