Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassSeven, Jan 27, 2003.

1. my band, sometimes its a riff someone brings to practice. occassionally somone will write all the parts, but usually that ends up with people getting mad 'cause they don't like their part.
    hopefully we have the old reel-to-reel recorder running to pick up stuff that we play so we dont forget it. Most likely one of us will bring one riff, then we will make the rest of the riffs for the song on the spot, using the original riff as the style guide. I don't even try to do drums, the drummer can figure that out on his own.
  2. oops, i meant to post a reply, not a whole new post... How do i move this or get rid of it?
  3. click on the "edit/delete" button at the top of your first post (the one starting the thread). check the box to delete it, and hit ok.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Genreally I think the most confortabel writing style for most bands is the bassist or guitarist come up with a good solid lead riff (or bassline) and tehn the otehr instrumentalists use teh style adn chords as a template and add in their parts as they go. There are some bands who have one main writer that puts togather the entire piece, and this usually gives way to a more structured sounding piece with a very complete thought, not to say you can't can't get that both ways. Overall I think the best way to do with things is however the band is comfortable doing, because you will get the best finished product IMHO. With my band, usually I write the main song then give the guitarist and vocalist an idea of what I want it to sound like, and take their input on it.