1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sonic 15 Enclosures??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I'd like to reference this thread: Anyone heard of Sonic Bass Cabinets??
    ...and follow up with a query:
    I bought the cabs pictured below, loaded with JBL E140s. The cabs are very small, nearly half the recommended internal volume for those venerable JBL 15s. But I'm reading that perhaps these cabs were sold with those speakers purposefully?

Does anyone have knowledge of this, or of the origins of these cabs?

The internal dimensions are:
    17"W
    19.5"H
    12"D
    And are shelf ported:
    2"H x 5-1/2" D

Thanks for your time!

20180513_133307.jpg 20180513_133545.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

3. Rockbobmel

It's 30 x 24 x 18. It's a bass monster!

Count Bassie likes this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I had one for a while that I bought in L.A. in the mid 1980s to go with a used Walter Woods amp I bought out there. Was only used for home practice; I think it had whatever stock speaker was in it at the time.

5. Right, sounds reasonable, esp at that depth- 18" is the depth, I'm presuming here. 30" high... yes?
    Can't figure putting a speaker requiring 4 cu ft of volume into a box with 2.27 cu ft... 12" deep... I wonder what driver it originally came with.

6. The Sonic website is decidedly sparse in the info they offer, and not too good at communicating, so far.

7. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Those cabs are tuned in the vicinity of 75Hz, pretty useless for bass.

Count Bassie likes this.
  8. Yyyyyyep.

9. Rockbobmel

You are welcome to come up and try mine. It's inside my house as I have been using a pair of 12s.

10. Where are you at? Also yours is an 18, right? I'm trying to finx, maybe even build, at this point, a boxes/boxes for a pair of JBL E140s.

11. jimkelly

jimkelly

Sep 23, 2009
    Nashua,NH
    I bought a used empty one about seven years ago and put a Carvin PS15 8 ohm speaker in it. It's a nice compact size and was great for small jazz gigs.

Count Bassie likes this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Probably not too much different than a Bag End S15, IME.

Count Bassie likes this.
  13. It seems to be similar, yet there's some lows coming out of the Bag End. Porting and the right driver I guess.

14. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I thought the two S15 cabs I had were great, until I tried an EV B-210. That made me realize how much bottom end there really wasn't coming out of the two Bag Ends compared to the one B-210. I sold both of the Bag Ends and bought a second EV cab.

15. Tools for jobs I guess. I sold my S15-Ds to an upright player who was touring with Bill Kirtchen, the guy who wrote "Hot Rod Lincoln". They sound unbeatable in that context. My little Sonics might too, but not here... I mean they're cute and all, but...

16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    I believe if you use a actual QB3 alighment for JBL D-140 you do get a very small enclosures around 2 cubic feet and yes some ridiculous high 70s tuning to get a butterworth response.

So maybe it is a actual " TS" alighment and Sonic had good intentions. but anybody who knows anything or actually owned JBLs would instantaneously burst into laughter and ignore a QB3 and many other assisted alighments for older JBLs

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021