Sonic 610 vs. Ampeg 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Well I have been confronted with a bit of a conflict. I have decided that I want to upgrade to a 610 cab. At the local music shop I have been looking at a Sonic 610 speaker used but in excellent condition. I live in a suburb of Milwaukee so Sonics are everywhere and a lot of people like to knock them, so right now my opinion of Sonic is somewhat mediocre. I can get that cab for $320. I am also looking into an Ampeg 610 that I might be able to get for $500. I just got a svt3-pro and want a nice speaker to go with it. However, my band is also in the studio and were hoping to get merch so I definitely need money to go elsewhere. not to mention getting a rack, power supply wireless and tuner. I'm not sure which cab to go with, or really the question is would it be worth it to go the extra mile to get the Ampeg. The guy who works at the local shop used to work for Sonic and he said the speakers in the Sonic are just as good if not better than the Ampeg, but I know a lot of people who are all about Ampeg, and I assume that there is good reason for it. If anyone could help me out by giving a suggestion or telling me anything they know about either cabinets other than the stats on the websites I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Oh, To put my financial situation in perspective, I'm a full time college student with no job trying to make progress in a local band, so my funds are a bit tight, I just want to make sure i'm either a.) not getting a crappy speaker or b.)not paying almost $200 for a comparable speaker.