sonic differences between a 210 and a 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    I'm looking at buying either an Ampeg 2x10 or a 1x15, and was wondering what the different characteristics of each are.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    10s in general are punchier, while 15s are boomier.
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Ampeg has good descriptions of the cabs on .

If you are looking at a specific line from Ampeg - such as Classic line - you will probably get a little more lows out of a 1x15 and more definition and highs out of a 2x10.
    The frequency specs on the SVT-15E are 51 Hz - 3 KHz while they are 58 Hz - 18 KHz on the SVT-210HE.
    The more expensive B Series cabs sound a little better from my experience and do better on the lows. The BXT-115HL4 has a frequency response of 43 HZ - 18 kHz while the BXT210M is 45HZ - 18 kHz.
    Note that the 2x10 in the B Series line produces better lows (based on the "specs") than the 1x15 of the Classic line - this is one reason it is hard to make generalizations (such as a 1x15 produces better lows) between cabinets from different manufacturers or different lines from the same manufacturer.

Specs just give you a starting point. You really need to hear cabinets before you judge them as they "color" sound based on design and components.
    I would try out the models you are looking at side by side to see which works better for you.
  4. One thing I always notice about 15's is that they project the sound differently ... you can't hear anything but mud standing next to the speaker. A few feet out, however, they become clearer.
  5. Whitebeard

Sep 20, 2010
    I have an Ampeg SVT-4 PRO that I run through an Ampeg BXT-410HL4 stacked on an Ampeg BXT-115HL4 and it pretty user friendly in so much as the 4-10's are real easy to hear up close (as in on-stage) and the 1-15 rounds out the sound (in the room). Both cabinets also have HF Horns/Drivers with a variable level control for each Horn. Overall I'm pretty happy with it but have considered changing out the stock 15" (Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 37 Hz) for one that will better handle a low B string which is just under 31 HZ. I'd probably do it if I played my 5 string more often.
    I started playing bass in 1964 and played through a Blonde Fender Bassman piggyback with 2x12's. As the venues got larger in 1964 I bought a Fender Dual Showman w/2x15's. As venues got even larger and bands louder I got an Acoustic 360 w/1x18 in a folded horn (which could be heard better 32' from the cabinet than standing directly in front of it). Next step was in 1974 and I bought an Ampeg SVT with 2 - 8x10 cabinets.
    I retired from the "music business" in 1978 for all the wrong reasons and spent the next 25 years working "normal" jobs. Then I started playing again and bought my current rig. I'm too old to lug around an all tube SVT (the SVT-4 PRO weighs 1/2 as much) and 8x10 cabinet/s (each BXT-410HL4 & BXT-115HL4 weigh roughly 1/2 as much as an 8x10 cab.). Call me compromised and happy.
  6. bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    Here is cool demo video from Mesa Boogie for their Powerhouse cabs. I like it because you can hear the different characteristics pretty good (always in mind that the real low end can only be judged standing in front of a cab ;) )

Part 1:
  7. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    I can't speak for Ampeg, but I know a little on the subject on GK cabs. I know three players in S. Florida who said they would start with the GK 2X10 or 4X10, and then get a GK 1X15 later. None ever bought the 1X15. All three are happy with the sound of the 10s and don't plan to get the second cab. So the GK 10s seem to satisfy the need for lows.
  8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Go play them both and decide. Nothing beats experience.
  9. ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005

The 10s seem to have more "Thump" as they scoop the mids. The 15 will have more in your face growl.

But you gotta try the one you will buy - as I am speaking in general and you are trying a specific piece.

- Ziggy -