Sonic differences in Sadowsky's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masterFunk, Oct 6, 2003.

1. I had a vintage-5 with with single coils that I sold a while ago(which I regret to this day....:bawl: ).

I am looking into making up for my mistake and getting a Sad. yeaeeee!

Here is a question for Nino, JimS, bikeplate(?) and maybe some others who tried all of these basses:

Sadowsky vintage-5 with Single Coils
    Sadowsky vintage-5 with humcancelling
    Sadwsky PJ-5

I am interested in hearing(reading) differences in tone among these basses.

I know that just reading descriptions can't replace hearing and playing them in person... but I don't think I can make it to Roger's shop anytime soon..

Thank you in advance.
  2. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
  3. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark

I spoke to Roger some time ago about his humcancelling vs. single coils. He said that that it would be nearly impossible to hear the difference in a blind test, though the single coils tend to be a little more open. He also said that whenever possible he would go for the hum cancelling. I've got the hum cancelling myself and they are awesome, very warm, punchy and defined.
    Hope that helps, Jacob
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I play professionally and have to have humcancelling pickups. With all the different clubs and bars you go to, single coils are just too noisy. I've never owned a Sadowsky with single coils(I have 2 now, one on order and have had 5 others) so I can't comment on the difference in tone. Roger has commented to me you'd probably not be able to tell! I currently have a jj5 and a pj4. The 5 is alder with an ebony board. It's a bit brighter than the other jj's I've had. I think it's the ebony. I love it. I've got a vintage 5 on order with a maple board. I'll probably sell the other 5 when it arrives. My pj4 is awesome. I think it's my favorite bass I've ever owned(famous last words!)
    It sounds wonderful, plays effortlessly, and is nice and light(lake placid blue, too!) I really like the pj setup. It's very versatile and lets me cover almost any tone I need. I'd push toward this configuration. It has a morado board and an ash body. I don't think you can go wrong with any of his basses. The Tokyo's are great too and you'll put a few bucks in your pocket! I guess it all comes down to the style you play and how many strings you need! Best of luck

5. Thanks for the replies!

That PJ5 sounds delicious!! just the right amount of "phatness" + "Spankiness"

I am leaning towards the PJ

I wonder how a reversed PJ would sound.. :bassist:

I want to get.

PJ5 (reversed P??)
    NOT vintage style /no Pickguard or control plate(is this possible ??)
    Ash body with Quilted top
    maple board.
    two tone burst.
    passive tone.
    Chrome hardware

what do you think?
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i'm having my PJ's P reversed later this month. if you dont mind waiting, i can put a review.
  7. something like this with no pickguard or the control plate

that madagascar rose wood board looks very VERY nice...

8. joker,

I'll be waiting!! how do you like your PJ?
  9. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    This PJ5 is mine, except that I had Roger change the pickguard for a tortoise one.

I don't think it would be a problem to order a PJ5 without a pickguard and a control plate, but you should just ask roger to confirm if it is possible.
  10. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina

What's up?

11. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Does anyone know if Sadowsky's humbuckers are stacked or split?