Sonic diffrence between raising neck pup closer to string, and boosting bass knob ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Using the boosting bass knob, well, that does exactly what it says, but moving the pickups closer can increase the overall output of the bass but it can also lead to unwanted distortion.

But seriously just try it out for yourself...
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup. As the magnets get closer to the strings you'll get more output, but you'll also run more risk of distortion. I usually get my pickups as close as I can to the strings without distortion.
  3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Keep in mind that your bass' tone will change greatly when heightening\lowering the pickups.

I spent several hours adjusting the p.u height on my fretless, to get the best tone. Here's what i've discovered:

Higher pickup height: More\harder transients, more growl, more agressive tone with much less dynamics. Less "air" in the tone, more dense\thick tone. More Output.

Lower pickup heigth: Less definition, sweeter\warmer more singing tone, more airy, sounds a bit "weaker". More dynamics and clearer. Less Output.

Therefore, turning up the bass have nothing to do tonally with heigthening the neck pickup!