Sonic Farms Tantra Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sink Pisser, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Sink Pisser

Sink Pisser

Aug 21, 2017
    Hello everyone. First post here. Just found this forum yesterday as I was searching the Internet for a 1972 P-Bass. :)

Anyways I'm trying to setup the best bass signal chain for recording. Let me specify... Apartment recording. So no bass amps. I am planning to get the Purple Compressor and am curious about this Tantra as well. It's fairly new so I'm guessing not a lot of people have it but I am curious to hear opinions from anyone who has.

Thanks and I look forward to diving into this forum.

2. Sink Pisser

Sink Pisser

Aug 21, 2017
    Just checking back... No Tantra users or anyone who has played one?

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    There are a few tantra users on here, but not many of those suckers in the wild

4. Sink Pisser

Sink Pisser

Aug 21, 2017
    Curious how they sound being recorded direct. Hopefully someone chimes in.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    The front end is identical to the Sonic Farm 2di4, and from there it goes through all the bells and whistles like comp, OD, harmonic generators and parametric EQ. I will say that my 2di4 records gloriously. I prefer it to the Neve and API channels in the studio where I tracked with it. Very musical, warm, huge and articulate, and super fast.

kesslari likes this.
  6. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I have owned my Tantra amp for near 2 years now and is my go to amp over those two years> I know StuBass is also a owner.He was the guy I talked with before i bought mine.It is the best amp I have ever had but i also love my Monique DC and M2500 also.While all the bells and whistles are daunting once you have it setup there is very little to do afterwards.I really don't use the over drive section of it but make use of everything else. Compressor,HPF and [email protected] and H4 generators but they are somewhat settle to me.Not that the Tantra needs it I put a Cooling fan in mine since it is already setup for mounting one. Mine has never overheated but have talked to Zoran about if it was stable at 2.67 ohms and even 2 ohms and he said yes but needs additional coiling so I put on in it but will probably never run at 2.67 or even 2 ohms. Supposedly the ICE 1000 ASP in it according to specs is stable to 2 ohms..

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I believe the 1000ASP is rated to 4 and can be run safely at 2.67 anecdotally, but is not recommended down to 2.

I agree, the Tantra is beautifully and thoughtfully designed and executed. There's nothing like it.

kesslari likes this.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I too use the Sonic Farm 2di4, both as a DI for recording (wonderful) and instead of a preamp to drive a power amp for gigs.
    And it's simply an incredible sounding bit of gear.

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I got to play one of the newer Tantra's with the Pascal module and boy oh boy was it slammin. Can't go wrong with either power section, but I think the Pascal has even more immediacy and slam than the 1000ASP.

10. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Ya I don’t know what O was think when I said 2 ohm was think of Jules M2500 which he said will do 2 ohms but needs the fan running up there.

J.Wolf likes this.
  11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I do believe the Pascal in the newer tantras will run safely at 2.67. And the new ICE1200.

The nice thing about some of the newer class D modules is that if they go to unsafe impedance levels, they'll shut down or power cycle, instead of incurring damage.

12. MNC85

MNC85

Apr 26, 2019
    @foderaman Could you share your thoughts on the Tantra vs. the Monique? They are both on my short list for replacing my Puma 1000. Thanks.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021