Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sonic Maximizer vs Compressor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krovx, Mar 12, 2003.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I'm wondering if any of these would benefit my rig, or if both would be best. The BBE's have gone half price since the new models came out. Talked to the folks at bbe and the new ones are the exact same thing, different knobs and faceplate, just like my Ampeg B2 :p Anyway, The maximizer i can get 99.00 new, and compressors are around the same price range. I wanna know which is more beneficial to a bass rig. Does the maximizer clear up the lows and highs enough that a compressor really is useless or what? Thanks for the input guys! I am glad I found you guys. Guitarists Dont know **** about bass! Rock on :bassist: Isn't it fun being able to play faster than guitarists, they get mad :D

2. You are really comparing apples with oranges. The compressor smoothes out uneven volume spikes and the sonic maximizer does (well I'm not sure just exactly what it does, but it seems to make some things sound better). What the SM doesn't do is compress the sound like a good compressor will. It has been my experience, though, that if you play the instrument properly, you really don't need either one, accept for recording and then you might need the compressor. jmho

3. I use both.
    Always put Sonic Maximizer after the compressor.

4. The BBE can be a terrific fix for any rig and is often likened to a real "blanket-lifter" and is perfect for livening up a dead set of strings, clearing up stage boom and generally to add a certain tightening up of your sound. They also add some serious punch. I have tried to ween myself off mine because part of me feels that if you have a stellar rig to begin with, perhaps a BBE is something you could do w/o. Worth a try though fo' sho'.