Sonic Maximizer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Our rhythm guitarist just picked one of these up at GC for about $80. He says it makes his tone more rich and full... why is this?

I heard its because higher frequencies travel faster than the lower ones, and so the maximizer makes the high freq wait for the low ones and it sounds better?

How would this affect the sound of my bass?

2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

I don't know. If your guitarist has it, why don't you try your bass with it and then decide for yourself.
  3. rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been interested in a BBE sonic maximizer as well, curious to see if it makes an improvement in the sound. My car stereo has it and it makes the biggest difference in the world when I turn it on. Needless to say it stays on.... hey steal it from the guitar player for a bit and let us know how it sounds......
  4. I use one sometimes. It takes the mud out of the low end adds a lot of definition to the mids and highs. It works great for economy rigs and mid-level amps. Hi Fi stuff doesn't really need this to sound good.
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i had a thread about it, but no one responded. BBE also makes a Compressor and Maximizer in one box. i was wondering if anyone has tried it.

i guess i could just ask how good the compressor section of the BMAX preamp is.

6. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    Hi Guys,

The compressor in the BMAX uses an optical attenuator. This approach offers a "soft-knee", fast attack and a medium release.

Opitcal compressors are really nice for low end because they exhibit very little pumping and roll nicely into compression above the threshold because of the soft-knee.

The compressor we're getting ready to start shipping, the MaxCom, features a THAT! Corp. VCA. The VCA we're using is the same as DBX is using in their 166 compressor. It offers much more control than the single-knob optical compressor in the BMAX and, of course, a full-blown BBE Sonic Maximizer follows the compression circuit.

I've posted in a few threads here regarding the merits of the BBE Sonic Maximizer, you can do a search, "BBE Maximizer", and should get a pretty load of information.

Thanks for the support.