1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by elbow, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Hey guy's, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this.I have an Svp pro preamp which sounds great but since reading about the sonic maximizer I've been gassing for one bad,but I was wondering if any of you could tell me that if you use one you get the maximizer tone or if it just beefs up the tone you already have? Any input would be great.

2. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I play through a BMax-T which has a sonic maximizer built in. The "Process" knob adds some highs, but also adds some clarity (IMO), especially in the attack. The "Lo Contour" knob brings up the lows and sort of compensates for the added highs you get with the "Process".

Technically, the sonic maximizer is a "group delay corrector." Group delay is a problem usually associated with analog video and radar systems and is handled routinely in those designs. Group delay problems cause fast pulses to "smear" over time. BBE noted that the same problems occur in real-world audio systems and the sonic maximizer compensates for them. So I guess you'd say it makes your bass sound more like it's "supposed to" :)

I bought the BMax-T because I liked the Fender/Alembic tube gain stage and tone stack. Figured the sonic maximizer may or may not be useful. But now when I set the rig up for a gig, I almost always wind up with the sonic maximizer turned on.

3. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I like mine, seems to help it cut through the mix just a little bit and retain some clarity at loud volumes. I went with the BBE MaxCom 2-channel gate/compressor, has the maximizer built in and for $180 its not bad

4. I use the 362 rackmount between my effects and my amp, and it has a subtle, but very nice effect on my overall tone. It is especially noticeable running bright sounding distortions (one of my staple tones is the BassDriver on my ME-50B with the gain and tone almost all the way up). I use Tech 21 B410 cabinets, which do not have tweeters, but the BBE almost gives that tweeter sound, but more natural, and without the annoying (IMO) fizziness that most tweeters produce.

5. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    I use the sonic maximizer 482i in my rack, between the pre and power sections of my SVT classic. I find it has a great sound...Sounds really good in my walkabout effects loop as well. I find for me it cleans up things and makes it sound that much clearer.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I use a BBE Bmax SS pre and i have the sonic maximizer on all the time. It really cleans up the signal and really helps define the low end so you don't sound like mush.

I'm a big fan of the Sonic Maximizer. I use the 882i in my live sound rack when I'm using B52 Matrix 1000 & 2000 systems. Makes them sound fantastic.

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Demo link....

The BBE site has a demo and it is a good representation of the effect it has.

I have a 482, DI-100X, Bmax SS, and my truck stereo all have the Sonic Maximizer and I like it.

Jim

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Not an Amps topic. Moved to Effects.