1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sonic Maximizer's Yea or Ney

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iriegnome, Mar 22, 2006.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    OK. I am working with a nice little system that needs a definition boost on my B-String and such. I am thinking of a BBE Sonic Maximizer, but I want to hear from you. Let me know....
    Currently I run:
    SWR Bass 750 @ 2.6 Ohms (850 watts)
    TC Electronics Triple C Compressor
    Schrroeder Mini 12
    Schroeder 1212
    SWR Bass Monitor

2. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I run a BBE 362NR through a GBE600 and a Schro 1212. The maximizer essentially eliminates potential muddiness and tightens the 'throw' of the notes so that they're as equal as possible. It's especially handy to have for heavy rock, metal and funk playing, where a bunch of definition and (with funk) dynamic "smoove-ness" (heh) is necessary.

I play four strings now, but I ran the 362NR with a five-string for a while. It makes the biggest difference on the B string, since IME, low-frequency notes break up and get lost in a mix most often. The SM just defined the note better ... kind of like a flashlight with a sharply defined light beam with little diffusion versus one with a beam that diffuses and fades in intensity a lot toward the edges.

A suggestion: find a 3-series Sonic Maximizer if you can. The current 4-series sounded a little too processed to me, and that's an opinion shared by many bsed on what I've read.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I just added a 362NR to my rack. It seems to clarify everthing nicely, but I'm not playing a 5-er.

4. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    I have an Aphex 204 and I find it most useful for digital sound modules and modelers to make them sound more analog. For most things, it's more of a novalty that wears off as soon as you realized that you sound is too colored. Compared to the Aphex, I think the BBE has harsher treble but the same goes for the BBE, imo. I think that TC comp should do the trick once you dial it in. The exciters are just fancy band pass comps anyway.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There's plenty of past threads about BBE's products. Do a search for "sonic maximizer". I haven't seen him in a long time, but BBE employee is a TB member and has posted tons of useful info.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Actually what I am finding out is that there are a couple of manufacturers that make similat units. Peavey , Aphex and BBE are a couple of them. What I would like to know is if anyone has compared them and what are some differences? Also, do the newer BBE's work just like the older ones did? I had a BBE 411 a long time ago, but I also had a crapy system.

7. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    I've had the Aphex 204, BBE 362 and Behringer ultradyne here. The Aphex was the clear winner to my ears and the Berhringer was the clear loser by a long shot.

8. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Help! Stupid person here! My brother gave me a BBE 461 Sonic Maximizer but I don't know how to connect it to my Hartke HA4000 head. Can someone help me? I'd be very thankful!

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Preamp out -> Sonic Maximizer -> Power amp in (this is typically the fx loop). You want it after any other fx.

10. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Thanks, EricF !!!!!