Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sonic Youth on Late Night with Conan O Brien

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jul 9, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Sonic Youth was on Late Night with Conan O Brien a few days ago. They were awesome. Do you remember the name of the song they played? I think it was Unmade Bed.

Anyone else like Sonic Youth?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I hate my life.

I cant believe I missed that.

I was going to catch a plane to NY to see SY and the Pixies at Lollapalooza up there. I probably would have had to sell some stuff for the cash, but it woulda been worth it. Too bad they cancelled the tour.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I liked them a lot when I was in high school, especially Dirty. I'm sure someone will like them in miscellaneous too.

brad cook

4. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Any idea who's the musical guest on Late Night tonight?

5. just a question, but i've been hearing about sonic youth for a while now (mainly in the guitar mags, about the guitarists) and like you guys here, i heard them for the first time on Conan O'Brian. is that how most of their songs sound? I like it!

Charlie

6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yes it is. They have a very unique sound that unfortunitly never really caught on. :)

Sonic Youth is great, i'm ashamed to say i didn't even know they were playing on Conan. I havn't followed the band in quite some time.

My roomate has this awsome Sonic Youth home video of them on tour with Nirvana back in like 1990 or 91, very interesting.

7. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah. Their older songs were a lot more... "experimental" though. Pop in one of their old CDs when you're hanging out with friends at night, its perfect.

8. I <3 sonic youth! I even have a "washing machine" t-shirt. And yes, it was "unmade bed" it's on the album Sonic Nurse.

I might see them august 14th in boston, I just hope it's all ages. even if it's 18+ I think I could go in if my dad came with me. either way he's gonna be there.

9. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah. Jazz Basses rule. Just checked your profile. I just bought a MIM Fender Jazz myself.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I used to have the dirty t-shirt with the knitted animal doll on the front.

brad cook

11. but, anyone with a white tee shirt and an iron can make there own shirts. they have printable iron on designs for free at sonicyouth.com

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have a Washing Machine T shirt too.

[​IMG]

Im not going to light it on fire, I was just bored and saw the lighter there so I thought I should include it.

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i adore sonic youth. i have seen them 3 times so far and hope to see them many times more.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow, I didn't even know they were around again. I used to be into them in high school (that's quite a few years ago).

15. around again? They never went away!

What I find funny is that how everyone gets worked up over the White Stripes and the lack of a REAL bass player, when Sonic Youth had a bassist for about 15 years, and then she switched to guitar. For a good 4 LPs they made them with out bass.

17. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yes, but Sonic Youth is a GOOD band :p

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My favorites are:

A Thousand Leaves

Daydream Nation

Dirty

Washing Machine

19. Beginners Guide to Sonic Youth

Daydream Nation
    Goo
    Washing Machine

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just saw Lars Ulrich on his show the other night.