Sonical Differences between The IAmp 600 and the Iamp800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fello, Sep 12, 2003.

1. fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    HI, I wonder if somebody here at TB has A/B'd and can compare these 2 heads.I'm looking to buy an Iamp800, but they seem to be quite difficult to find these days.A couple of Iamp600 appeared in the used market, So, i would like to hear a comparison, if anybody knows.Thanks
  2. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
  3. fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
  4. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    The sonic differences between the 600 and 800 are subtle but obvious to a keen ear. The 600 has a crisp MOSFET transistor sound while people report the 800 sounds warmer, more like a tube amp. There is nothing wrong with either sound; rather, it's simply a matter of choice. Plus, keep in mind that most speaker cabinets greatly color the sound of a bass signal, and in some cases changing to a different amp makes little sonic difference.

The 800 uses the latest Class D switching amplifier technology and runs remarkably cool without a fan. Plus, it is capable of delivering a huge transient response at loud volumes.

The 600 is no pushover, but it won't get as loud as the 800 and is not recommended for 2 ohm loads. It is physically larger and a bit heavier than the 800.

Both models use the same preamp and are designed not to color the input signal. I would not hesitate getting a used 600 if your budget is such; all the replacement parts are readily available and the unit has a good reliability record. If you want the latest technology, go with the 800.

Gary Gibilisco, Euphonic Audio, Inc.
  5. jayman121

jayman121 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Hi Adolfredo,

I agree totally with EA's Gary Gibilisco's observations on the EA iAmp 600 and 800 amps. I have owned and used both. I currently use the 800. The 800 is warmer sounding and runs SUPER cool without a fan. The lighter weight and extra power and headroom makes this a super package. This amp gets REALLY LOUD. If you can't find or afford the 800, a used 600 would be a excellent choice .
    The EQ section is very versatile. You get the true uncolored sound of your bass. If you're looking for a hi fi studio sound, this is the head for you. Plus the built in tuner is a great feature.
  6. fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies and the info EAGAry and Jayman121.I'm currently in the market for the Iamp800, but haven't been able to find one in any dealer.It seems they're out of stock everywhere.They seem to be very popular.;) I'm moving to Europe at the end of the month and would like to take one with me.
    Specialy because I got in touch with the European dealer, and there much more expensive there in the UK.
    Well, I'll continue my search, and settle for a used Iamp600, if I can't find an Iamp800.
    Thanks once again