Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SonicCord Classic Bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Sacchetti, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Just wanted to share my new GAS item;
    You know if your playing most med to large venues your going thru the PA. So why lug all that weight around.
    Check out the Classic tube bass amp from SonicCord. It is my new must have all tube amp. It weighs about 25 pounds.
    It has the option of 3 different preamp tubes to change its tone and can handle any cab you connect to. It has a killer DI coming directly out of the power section going strong to the PA. 100 watts of pure tube power, half an SVT, with a 4/8 ohm switch. And unlike SS amps its using 100 watts at low freqs as well as at high freqs.
    Great for DB and Elec players

Anyone who has one share your reviews with us.

Peace,
    Nark :bassist:

2. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Very nice item, Mark.
    I've been looking at this head since Flite announced it's availability. (I have a Flite 112MH cabinet that's worked very well for me as an extension cab).

I can't review this unit; I haven't had the chance to play one.
    I'd like to-

I can say that I've been using that concept very successfully on stage, playing through an Ampeg V4BH, DI'd through the house system. This has been my touring rig, playing rooms of 200 to 2000. It cuts the mix, fills the room in balance, and has excellent stage volume as well, all the while giving me the all-tube tone I prefer.
    Sonicord/Flite seems to have taken it down to the very basics here, letting the tube resonance provide the tone rather than
    using eq, allowing for different sounds by choosing preamp tubes.
    This will not be the rig for every player that's for sure-

I'm sure it sounds very sweet, my rig does!
    Thanks for sharing the link- I've only seen it on Flite's site before.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What do these sell for?

4. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Tom:
    IIRC, when FLITE had them listed (they no longer do) they
    were special-order and around $1200.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks. That's probably more than I want to pony up. Maybe there's room in the market for a 100 watt tube bass head priced between the SonicCord and the Pignose! ;)

6. they used to be $999 with the cab. I am wondering if it is negotiable from either flite sound or sonic cord.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I contacted the manufacturer because I was interested in just the amp (this was during the promo period with Flite). It was $999 with the flight cab, but once that was over the price of the head alone jumped $300 (this was a direct communication from Sonicwhatever). It looks killer and probably sounds really nice, but at only 100 watts it's just too pricey. I am going to imagine that there will be a fire-sale on these in the near future. Does anyone here at TB even know of anyone who has one?

8. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    When this head was listed in Flite's lineup, it was by special order.
    I don't know when the partnership between Flite and Sonicord happened, but I imagine that the amp is still built per order and there are probably only a few out there.

I haven't tried one, so I can't offer an endorsement but it looks very good to me, like they know how to design a good sounding tube circuit to do the job it's meant to do-
    Assuming it's made with quality components, transformers etc.
    and the wiring and assembly are well-done, it looks like an excellent tool.

The amp sure isn't for everyone-
    Most of what's out there in higher-end is high wattage rated with very extensive eq. This is minimal to say the least!!
    100 watts scares a lot of players away; they feel they can't make the walls shake, or cut through. Maybe not---

But unless you've used a tube circuit DI'd through the board,
    which is what this head is designed for, you don't know how much headroom and volume is at hand-
    I have, and it cuts through the mix and balances in the room,
    with the fundamental tube tone that I prefer.
    Granted, I'm not playing head-banging metal or arena rock,
    but I still work at considerable volume in fairly large rooms.

Looks like a very interesting piece of gear- I'd sure like to give it a try sometime.

9. IMHO SonicCord has hit a homerun.
    I am placing an order for one. Every dealer I have spoken with is raving about the head. I will post my own hands on review asap.

The joint venture with Flite was to offer bass players a portable all purpose rig for all venues. SonicCord designed the lightweight amp and Flite the 15" cab. Both weigh in at aprox 50 lbs for the total rig.

In offerring the player a pure tube AB powered head that is designed to handle both uprights and electrics, with the minimum of corruption in its signal flow from the front end to the killer DI output A recent mod was the addition of a brightness knob for the electric players who wanted more high end control.

Peace,
    Mark :bassist:

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Mark:

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say about this amp!

Thanks, Tom.

11. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Good move, Mark-looking forward to reading about how you like it- The smart money says it will be outstanding IMO.

I've used a Flite 12" (26 lbs.) as an extension cab for a GK MB-150S (SS of course) with outstanding results. The Flites are very nicely voiced. With the Classic Head's tube design-I know how rich the tone would be - I'm sure the Sonicord would matches well with Flite or many of the other quality enclosures.

Congrats on sourcing out and using a great rig.