1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sonny Rollins' Moritat solo performed on double bass

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Jonny Mah, May 29, 2014.

1. Jonny Mah

Jonny Mah

Nov 9, 2009
    Toronto
    This has been a long time coming. I started lifting this solo as a teenager but there were parts that were just too fast for me to hear or transcribe. Enter the ihearit app for iPhone, and I've been able to finish the lift and learn to play it to the best of my ability. I know this version isn't totally perfect, but it's probably as good as I'll be able to get it for the time being given the range / technical issues. I can provide the transcription as well if you want it - I think it's one of the best solos I've ever heard.

2. Yeah!

3. Jonny Mah

Jonny Mah

Nov 9, 2009
    Toronto
    Thanks!

4. Transcription!
    Yes, please, if you're willing to share the fruits of your labour.

5. Jonny Mah

Jonny Mah

Nov 9, 2009
    Toronto
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401745885.811785. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401745956.473243. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401745966.179814. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401745974.564978.

6. Many many thanks, kind sir!

7. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    Great Jonny!

8. Mofo!

neal davis likes this.
  9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Very nice! Sounds pretty accurate to me. Forgive if I'm overstepping my bounds, but I think now that you've got the notes, it's time to really delve into his phrasing and inflection.

Jonny Mah likes this.
  10. Jonny Mah

Jonny Mah

Nov 9, 2009
    Toronto
    Duly noted.

11. jloehrke

jloehrke

Dec 23, 2010
    Uh, you're kidding, right? Dude nails a Sonny Rollins solo arco, and you're making suggestions?

12. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yes. It was technically very good, and I did not mean to belittle the accomplishment, but I thought there was room for improvement. Specifically some of the phrases near the end. But that's just my opinion, though he did voice his own disapproval in the video itself, so I'm probably not telling him anything he doesn't know. If I'm coming across as a jerk, I apologize.

Benrsbass1 likes this.
  13. chris dammann

chris dammann Supporting Member

Awesome! very inspiring.

14. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Pretty awesome, man!

Very inspiring, I got no excuses now that it too hard to play other solos on my electric bass! :) Great pick too, anything from Sonny is a gold mine. Great stuff.

15. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I love Sonny Rollins. Thank you so much for sharing your playing AND the transcription!

Re. the transcription, I am only able to view the tiny images (about 2" tall on my laptop screen) within your post. I thought they were thumbnail images, but clicking on them doesn't take me to a larger version. Is it possible to access a larger image or images?

As for the comment on phrasing and inflection, I am not the OP, but I didn't take it in a mean-spirited or hypercritical way. It's great work, but there is always room for improvement (especially when trying to swing with the bow). I say this acknowledging that I'm far from the OP's level here.

A lot of good work and, yes, inspiring, even if not perfect. ;)

16. joemato

joemato

Jul 11, 2009

17. joemato

joemato

Jul 11, 2009
    Jon, I am trying to lift this solo also. It's a bitch to learn, but wow, it's great. I would love to get it and what you are using to learn it. A transcription would be great. Thanks, Joe Mato

18. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Dude - awesome. Inspiration for the day - complete.

19. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Sound great! How did you go about the bow phrasing always detache?

20. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I was glad to see this pop up again -- listened and watched through the video again and that's some impressive work. Cool to hear Sonny playing along behind you, too.