1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sony mdr-7506 vs. mdr-7509hd headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    in about 2000 I bought a pair of japanese made sony mdr-7506 headphones as required by a recording school class. nice headphones, if a bit heavy on bass, fairly clear easy to listen to.

I no longer use them for any serious recording, but for amature recording and music listening. I recently got some G.A.S. for better headphones. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the next model up from the 7506 would be similar, but better?? I ordered a pair of 7509HD (made in thailand) and I'm pretty disappointed in the hollow sound and thin bass. to get the 7509 to sound remotely like the 7506 I have to press them tighter on my head to dampen the plastic resonances.

does anyone know if there is a big difference between the japan made 7506 and thailand made 7506?? apparently thats what is available at guitar center and perhaps most american retail stores.

also has the 7506 model been discontinued?? hope not... especially if its still as good as the made in japan model!

2. wintogreen

wintogreen

Dec 30, 2009
    well I don't know the difference between thai and japanese makes, but I think the differences must be very small if any...
    The 7506's haven't been discontinued, merely renamed MDR-V6... you'll find that the sound and appearance is the same.
    On the other hand, 7509HD's don't appear on sonystyle.com in the search query or headphones page... I wonder if they've been discontinued or renamed as well.

3. wintogreen

wintogreen

Dec 30, 2009
    I've checked and both the 7506 and the 7509HD are on sale on the sony professional page... the only difference between the 7506 and the MDR-V6 is the connection: the MDR-V6 is nickel-coated and the 7506's is gold-plated... the other difference is that they're aimed at different markets... V6's for the mass market commercial division and the 7506's for the professional division. all replacement parts are the same even... for the sony professional page you can type pro.sony.com in your browser and it'll take you to Sony's professional division that sells these HP's. they're under "products" then "pro audio" then "headphones"...